Solved

Core i7 720QM reaching 89C on heavy load in laptop. Is this expected?

I've been a TomsHardware visitor for a few years now. First time joining and posting!

I just got a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560. It is an awesome laptop (let me know if anyone wants a review), but once I got to heavy computing, aka games, the temperatures flew to 89C on Batman Arkham Asylum and Team Fortress 2. I am hesitant to add this detail, but I was also was playing with IZ3D drivers for stereoscopic 3D. I did consider this a factor because TF2 is not a processor intensive game, though through experience, it does benefit from multi-threading. My idle temps are 50-55C, which is pretty normal. Typical load of non-intense apps hover around 60-70C.

I just got off with tech support and the person I spoke to acknowledged that that is hot, but did not deem it as a problem since he never mentioned returning it. I was kind of wary that maybe they tell tech support to try to avoid people returning them because this solution was simply not to use software that does that. I kept mentioning that it is very high and abnormal compared to others, but he kept mentioning the game just requires massive amounts of power and he kind of just ... grabbed words from the air. Ironically, he also acknowledged it's a performance laptop (the reason why I bought it?). He was very kind, but I still did not get my question answered. I do not want to rant too much about my tech support experience, but it was a mix of amazing/awful (very fast, personalized, 24/7 were a few of the pros ... he even played Arkham Asylum himself!)

All I would like to know, is if this is typical of performance/gaming laptops or laptops in general under strenuous load. This is my first laptop, so I have zero experience and expectations, except with a random few that I did not do heavy CPU tasks on. I don't know whether something is wrong with my processor, heatsink, or if this is typical of performance laptops and cooling pads are necessary for heavy computing.

So, is there something wrong with my CPU or is advanced cooling the norm for system intensive processes?

While all advice is welcomed, I would prefer a notebook perspective. My AC is at 76 and the room I'm in is probably a few degrees warmer, if a relative ambient temp. I went to a room without computer hardware and my idle temps got closer to 50.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core 720qm reaching heavy load laptop expected
  1. Best answer
    Yep, my 720 started hitting 90c when heavy gaming when it racked up the 1st core, still just below its thermal threshold, ended up buying an Akasa cooling stand to knock off 10c, well worth money.
  2. das_stig said:
    Yep, my 720 started hitting 90c when heavy gaming when it racked up the 1st core, still just below its thermal threshold, ended up buying an Akasa cooling stand to knock off 10c, well worth money.

Thanks, your reply is greatly appreciated, especially since you're using the same processor with a different laptop (so I can't blame Lenovo heatsinks). The TJunction for the processor is 100C. I think the desktop ones are 95C, so I guess they took this into consideration or knew it was getting hot. -10C is very impressive. I just placed my order this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834994097

I would still like more opinions =)
  3. bump
  4. Best answer selected by tikitariki.
  5. i dont go that high.Around 75c.
  6. 100cfm is impressive.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Intel i7 Product