Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my laptop like a desktop?

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 12:40:41 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to open up my laptop and just upgrade away, similar to a desktop pc.
The laptop is an old Advent 7105, and I would be really interested to hear what people think, because while I really wanted to build my own desktop, what would be more convenient would be a new laptop, and surely the cheapest would be to make it myself?

Would it be as simple as opening up the case and fitting it with a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and maybe battery and adapter(if necessary)? While keeping the monitor, keyboard, pad, speakers etc. because the laptop is currently in good working order, just wish to juice it up if possible.

If so can you recommend any components?

At this point the Advent houses a socket 745 motherboard (haven't found out which one yet), with a Amd mobile sempron 3000+, 1.5GB 200pin DDR-333 SODIMM (2gb max, 2 slots), a Lite-On PA-1700-02 AC power adapter (Input : 100-240V~ 1.8A, 50-60Hz, Output : 19V 3.42A 65W) with a original (as good as dead, about 40% chargeable) advent EM-G330L2 (11.1v 4400mAh) battery.

more info on the laptop:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7105.htm

Thank you.

More about : upgrade laptop desktop

August 14, 2010 10:08:17 PM

Can anyone advise? Would really appreciate it.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 10:16:41 PM

I was hoping someone else would take this one :p 

Most laptops have limited upgrade potential. You might increase the RAM, but finding the older RAM that would work in the board would be a problem or expensive.

You almost certainly cannot replace the CPU. Maybe the hard drive.

Given the low cost of newer laptops, upgrading an old one is not advisable.

Other parts fail on laptops after a while, like the LCD lamp. These are expensive and difficult to replace.

Then there is the lifespan of the motherboard itself, which is not upgradeable, but probably replaceable at great expense.

Related resources
August 14, 2010 10:26:25 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I've looked as much up as I could find myself and everything I've read seems to echo yourself, ram itself is unreasonably priced but I suppose there isn't many places still making this stuff.

After looking into it it turns out I have one of the exceptions where I can upgrade the CPU, but then of course the issue is that the laptop wasn't designed to cool that set up and the price/performance increase wouldn't be that high.

And once again with prices as they are I guess it makes more sense to get a whole new laptop, in truth price was my only motive in wanting to upgrade, but it turns out it would not be cost affective.

Thank you.
August 15, 2010 2:53:29 AM

there are 3 upgrade routes you can go, cpu hard drive and ram. the harddrive and ram upgrades aren't that bad, cpu swaps require you to disassemble your lap top and that can be a real bear.

for all intensive purposes video cards should be able to be upgraded via mxm ports as the ones seen in the nvidia optimus video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Gb18o3Wwc
!