Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for an electronic solution for destroying data on SSD drives.

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2012 9:52:26 PM

Looking for an electronic solution for destroying data on SSD drives.
I don't care if it makes the drive unusable, my focus is on making any data on the drive unrecoverable by any means.

I know I can throw it in the fireplace, burn the chips with a blowtorch or cut them in half with wire snips, but that's not what I'm looking for.

What I want to know, is where on the circuit board or what pin of what chip, can I apply 12 to 24 volts of medium to high current, that will ensure complete destruction of all memory registers in all the flash chips on the drive?

I know this may be more of a question for an electrical engineer, but I'm hoping someone here may have an answer or be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
a c 317 G Storage
November 12, 2012 10:05:34 PM

Just do a secure erase, overwrite a large data file (the size of the drive) and do a second secure erase.

Applying an excessive electrical current is no guarantee, as it may just burn out control circuits and leave the data there for a very well funded recovery attempt.

If you really want to destroy your SSDs buy a large sledgehammer and create many small pieces, although that seems a bit excessive to me.
m
l
November 12, 2012 11:11:51 PM

Thanks Realbeast!

Sorry, maybe I should have been more exact, with what I"m looking to do.

I want to hook a fail-safe switch to an SSD drive, so that, basically if a switch is triggered (or not triggered, depending on the type of fail safe circuit), the SSD would be destroyed or at least the data it contained, would be completely unrecoverable.

I built something that did exactly this, using a bulk erasing circuit, on a notebook hard drive, but SSD's use totally different hardware.

I was playing around with using instant heat technology (the same material and circuit found in cold heat soldering irons) to heat the chips to destruction, but I thought 12 to 24 volts of high current, applied to the right place on the circuit board or the chips themselves, would be able to give me the same results, without the extra hardware.

Again, any help appreciated.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 12, 2012 11:24:09 PM
November 13, 2012 5:16:39 PM

Best answer selected by Redrocketmaker.
m
l
November 13, 2012 6:47:37 PM

Now I just need to reverse engineer how they did it.
-Testing on SSD drives would be expensive, but I have a drawer full of old USB memory sticks to practice on.
m
l
!