will there be a unreal tournament 2005 ?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:32:18 -0000, "Albo" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

>is there likely to be a 2005 version?

My guess is that the next iteration will be in '06 and will feature
the Unreal 3 engine. Just speculating though...

albo

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004

is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only just been
released?

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
> Albo enlightened us with:
> > is there likely to be a 2005 version?
>
> Not likely. 100% sure.
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

Albo enlightened us with:
> is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only
> just been released?

According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.

MeltDown

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:17:41 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

> According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.
>
> MeltDown

They have plenty of dead horses to flog, I see.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Albo wrote:
> is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only just been
> released?

Question: Can Epic make more money by doing so?

Answer: Yes.

Result: They will release a 2005, unless there's some mystical reason
that I don't know of. UT is now an ongoing game, being upgraded all the
time with a large chunk of money being spent on its development. To get
back that money, they gotta flog us updates repackaged as new games.

EA do it, Microsoft do it, why not Epic?

--
Flash

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Mr K wrote:
>>According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.

> They have plenty of dead horses to flog, I see.

IOW: They have a successful business model.

--
Flash

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:51:51 +0000, Flash wrote:

> IOW: They have a successful business model.

Judging off UT2K3 and UT2K4's popularity... I beg to differ. The phrase
you're looking for is "Resting on ones laurels". They're heavily reliant
on the sucess of UT.

--

Mr K wrote:

>>IOW: They have a successful business model.
> Judging off UT2K3 and UT2K4's popularity... I beg to differ. The phrase

Hmm? It's incredibly popular!

> you're looking for is "Resting on ones laurels". They're heavily reliant
> on the sucess of UT.

Well, yes - it's their flagship product. If you go to Epic's homepage it
appears that the Unreal family is their ONLY product now.

Far be it from "resting" on anything, they're continuing to improve and
progress with something they already know will sell enough to cover
their costs and give funding for future projects.

As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
(Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.

There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.

--
Flash

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:09:13 +0000, Flash wrote:

> Hmm? It's incredibly popular!

Same as those still playing Descent 3, Quake1, DeusX or HighLag1... they'd
swear it's still incredibly popular.

Well, they aren't wrong... but they also haven't seen anything else other
than their beloved $STRUGGLING_FOR_LIFE_GAME.

> Well, yes - it's their flagship product. If you go to Epic's homepage it
> appears that the Unreal family is their ONLY product now.

They don't understand that UT2K[x] is getting tired, especially with them
yet to master "go-anywhere landscape" etc.

> Far be it from "resting" on anything, they're continuing to improve and
> progress with something they already know will sell enough to cover
> their costs and give funding for future projects.

I can't wait for the aimbots in 2K5/2K6/2K8K/ad infinitum.

> As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
> than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
> and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
> cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
> (Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.

.... and half-baked "WE SHALL INFLICT $PUNISHEMENT UPON OFFENDERS" P.R.
stunts (first UT2K4 aimbot stunt, anyone?)... etc.

> There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.

Ymmv.

--

Mr K wrote:

>>Hmm? It's incredibly popular!
> Same as those still playing Descent 3, Quake1, DeusX or HighLag1... they'd
> swear it's still incredibly popular.

Anyone got any stats?

I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
active servers and players.

> They don't understand that UT2K[x] is getting tired, especially with them
> yet to master "go-anywhere landscape" etc.

So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?

>>As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
>>than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
>>and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
>>cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
>>(Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.
> ... and half-baked "WE SHALL INFLICT $PUNISHEMENT UPON OFFENDERS" P.R.
> stunts (first UT2K4 aimbot stunt, anyone?)... etc.

Other games don't have cheaters? Gosh.

>>There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.
> Ymmv.

Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?

--
Flash

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:12:44 +0000, Flash wrote:

> Anyone got any stats?

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/index.shtm
That good enough? Nope? Ok, how about:

+----[ http://pc.gamespy.com/ ]
+----

> I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
> active servers and players.

HalfLife doesn't count?

> So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?

Because people 'buy' the idea that $SOFTWARE is "teh bestest softwaer
evar!!!!11"

A good number of those people then feel cheated because they've coughed up
for a game that's all graphics and no gameplay.

> Other games don't have cheaters? Gosh.

So I take it you missed (or chose not to read) what happened to the first
aimbot user in UT2K4? "Dr.Sin" banned the CD-key... to make an example of
the gamer. A few days later, the aimbot user was given a new CD-key,
reading between the lines in the forum thread.

Make of that what you will.

> Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
> company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?

As you wish.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Mike

Splendid

Mr. K: I notice that in MicroPlanet Gravity that your posts have a
symbol appearing in the upper-right corner. It is a symbol of a
footprint. How are you doing this? Please respond to this newsgroup,
since I am afraid to post my e-mail address publicly due to the tons of
spam I am already receiving.

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:13:14 GMT, Mike wrote:

> Mr. K: I notice that in MicroPlanet Gravity that your posts have a
> symbol appearing in the upper-right corner. It is a symbol of a
> footprint. How are you doing this? Please respond to this newsgroup,
> since I am afraid to post my e-mail address publicly due to the tons of
> spam I am already receiving.

It's called an "X-Face", and is a custom header (from a year ago).

See also:
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/faces/index.html

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)

Mr K wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:12:44 +0000, Flash wrote:
>

>>Anyone got any stats?
>

> http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/index.shtm
> That good enough? Nope? Ok, how about:

Erm, looks to be doing pretty well on those stats....

>>I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
>>active servers and players.
>

> HalfLife doesn't count?

No, it doesn't, because Half Life actually means Counter Strike, which
was a community supported development. Take into account active leagues
at UT beats it hands down.

>>So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?
>

> Because people 'buy' the idea that $SOFTWARE is "teh bestest softwaer
> evar!!!!11"
>
> A good number of those people then feel cheated because they've coughed up
> for a game that's all graphics and no gameplay.

But FLash's point was that Epic were doing well, so if they are selling
units, and 2k4 was a better seller than 2k3, they *must be* doing
something right.

>>Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
>>company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?
>

> As you wish.

So you're not actually going to name one are you?: P

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:29:53 GMT, Ian Manning wrote:

> Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)

Ditto.

[Snip rest of mis-informed waffle]

Go on, dig out another old post.

--

Mr K wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:29:53 GMT, Ian Manning wrote:
>

>>Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)
>

> Ditto.
>
> [Snip rest of mis-informed waffle]
>
> Go on, dig out another old post.

Ahh you big flirt you :)

Nah, seriously, I think you make a good point, i just agree with Flash
that Epic have a pretty good, if notperfect business model. I think the
only thing he missed out was the selling of the unreal engine tech to
other developers, something that was a major factor in epics success,
and also the lack of a CD key for UT.