will there be a unreal tournament 2005 ?

is there likely to be a 2005 version?
17 answers Last reply
More about will unreal tournament 2005

    Albo enlightened us with:
    > is there likely to be a 2005 version?

    Not likely. 100% sure.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:32:18 -0000, "Albo" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

    >is there likely to be a 2005 version?

    My guess is that the next iteration will be in '06 and will feature
    the Unreal 3 engine. Just speculating though...

    is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only just been
    released?

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > Albo enlightened us with:
    > > is there likely to be a 2005 version?
    >
    > Not likely. 100% sure.
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Albo enlightened us with:
    > is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only
    > just been released?

    According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:17:41 +0100, MeltDown wrote:

    > According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.
    >
    > MeltDown

    They have plenty of dead horses to flog, I see.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    Albo wrote:
    > is it really that likely, after the editors choice version's only just been
    > released?

    Question: Can Epic make more money by doing so?

    Answer: Yes.

    Result: They will release a 2005, unless there's some mystical reason
    that I don't know of. UT is now an ongoing game, being upgraded all the
    time with a large chunk of money being spent on its development. To get
    back that money, they gotta flog us updates repackaged as new games.

    EA do it, Microsoft do it, why not Epic?

    --
    Flash
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    >>According to Epic, there's at least going to be 2005 and 2006.

    > They have plenty of dead horses to flog, I see.

    IOW: They have a successful business model.

    --
    Flash
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:51:51 +0000, Flash wrote:

    > IOW: They have a successful business model.

    Judging off UT2K3 and UT2K4's popularity... I beg to differ. The phrase
    you're looking for is "Resting on ones laurels". They're heavily reliant
    on the sucess of UT.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:

    >>IOW: They have a successful business model.
    > Judging off UT2K3 and UT2K4's popularity... I beg to differ. The phrase

    Hmm? It's incredibly popular!

    > you're looking for is "Resting on ones laurels". They're heavily reliant
    > on the sucess of UT.

    Well, yes - it's their flagship product. If you go to Epic's homepage it
    appears that the Unreal family is their ONLY product now.

    Far be it from "resting" on anything, they're continuing to improve and
    progress with something they already know will sell enough to cover
    their costs and give funding for future projects.

    As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
    than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
    and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
    cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
    (Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.

    There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.

    --
    Flash
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:09:13 +0000, Flash wrote:

    > Hmm? It's incredibly popular!

    Same as those still playing Descent 3, Quake1, DeusX or HighLag1... they'd
    swear it's still incredibly popular.

    Well, they aren't wrong... but they also haven't seen anything else other
    than their beloved $STRUGGLING_FOR_LIFE_GAME.

    > Well, yes - it's their flagship product. If you go to Epic's homepage it
    > appears that the Unreal family is their ONLY product now.

    They don't understand that UT2K[x] is getting tired, especially with them
    yet to master "go-anywhere landscape" etc.

    > Far be it from "resting" on anything, they're continuing to improve and
    > progress with something they already know will sell enough to cover
    > their costs and give funding for future projects.

    I can't wait for the aimbots in 2K5/2K6/2K8K/ad infinitum.

    > As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
    > than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
    > and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
    > cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
    > (Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.

    .... and half-baked "WE SHALL INFLICT $PUNISHEMENT UPON OFFENDERS" P.R.
    stunts (first UT2K4 aimbot stunt, anyone?)... etc.

    > There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.

    Ymmv.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:

    >>Hmm? It's incredibly popular!
    > Same as those still playing Descent 3, Quake1, DeusX or HighLag1... they'd
    > swear it's still incredibly popular.

    Anyone got any stats?

    I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
    active servers and players.

    > They don't understand that UT2K[x] is getting tired, especially with them
    > yet to master "go-anywhere landscape" etc.

    So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?

    >>As a business study, I reckon Epic is pretty damned solid, much more so
    >>than the majority of computer companies, especially computer software
    >>and even more so for computer games. It has a great product, doesn't
    >>cause scandal, teases its audience with upcoming projects nicely
    >>(Unreal3 movies etc) and rewards its audience with bonus packs.
    > ... and half-baked "WE SHALL INFLICT $PUNISHEMENT UPON OFFENDERS" P.R.
    > stunts (first UT2K4 aimbot stunt, anyone?)... etc.

    Other games don't have cheaters? Gosh.

    >>There's a lot worse companies than Epic, imo.
    > Ymmv.

    Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
    company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?

    --
    Flash
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:12:44 +0000, Flash wrote:

    > Anyone got any stats?

    http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/index.shtm
    That good enough? Nope? Ok, how about:

    +----[ http://pc.gamespy.com/ ]
    +----

    > I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
    > active servers and players.

    HalfLife doesn't count?

    > So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?

    Because people 'buy' the idea that $SOFTWARE is "teh bestest softwaer
    evar!!!!11"

    A good number of those people then feel cheated because they've coughed up
    for a game that's all graphics and no gameplay.

    > Other games don't have cheaters? Gosh.

    So I take it you missed (or chose not to read) what happened to the first
    aimbot user in UT2K4? "Dr.Sin" banned the CD-key... to make an example of
    the gamer. A few days later, the aimbot user was given a new CD-key,
    reading between the lines in the forum thread.

    Make of that what you will.

    > Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
    > company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?

    As you wish.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr. K: I notice that in MicroPlanet Gravity that your posts have a
    symbol appearing in the upper-right corner. It is a symbol of a
    footprint. How are you doing this? Please respond to this newsgroup,
    since I am afraid to post my e-mail address publicly due to the tons of
    spam I am already receiving.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:13:14 GMT, Mike wrote:

    > Mr. K: I notice that in MicroPlanet Gravity that your posts have a
    > symbol appearing in the upper-right corner. It is a symbol of a
    > footprint. How are you doing this? Please respond to this newsgroup,
    > since I am afraid to post my e-mail address publicly due to the tons of
    > spam I am already receiving.

    It's called an "X-Face", and is a custom header (from a year ago).

    See also:
    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/ftp/faces/index.html

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:12:44 +0000, Flash wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone got any stats?
    >

    > http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/index.shtm
    > That good enough? Nope? Ok, how about:

    Erm, looks to be doing pretty well on those stats....

    >>I'd guess UT99 is the only game from that era to still have so many
    >>active servers and players.
    >

    > HalfLife doesn't count?

    No, it doesn't, because Half Life actually means Counter Strike, which
    was a community supported development. Take into account active leagues
    at UT beats it hands down.

    >>So how come they manage to shift so many boxes each time?
    >

    > Because people 'buy' the idea that $SOFTWARE is "teh bestest softwaer
    > evar!!!!11"
    >
    > A good number of those people then feel cheated because they've coughed up
    > for a game that's all graphics and no gameplay.

    But FLash's point was that Epic were doing well, so if they are selling
    units, and 2k4 was a better seller than 2k3, they *must be* doing
    something right.

    >>Course, easier to say that than nail your colours to the post and name a
    >>company you *do* respect, so that we can pick holes in *them*, ain't it?
    >

    > As you wish.

    So you're not actually going to name one are you?: P

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:29:53 GMT, Ian Manning wrote:

    > Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)

    Ditto.

    [Snip rest of mis-informed waffle]

    Go on, dig out another old post.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:29:53 GMT, Ian Manning wrote:
    >

    >>Ahhh Mr K, still at it on AGUT I see :)
    >

    > Ditto.
    >
    > [Snip rest of mis-informed waffle]
    >
    > Go on, dig out another old post.

    Ahh you big flirt you :)

    Nah, seriously, I think you make a good point, i just agree with Flash
    that Epic have a pretty good, if notperfect business model. I think the
    only thing he missed out was the selling of the unreal engine tech to
    other developers, something that was a major factor in epics success,
    and also the lack of a CD key for UT.

Games Video Games