NT AUTHORITY/INTERACTIVE auto populating the admin group

Hello,

I am running XP Pro SP1, and have a issue I need to resolve.

Every time the machine boots, the NT AUTHORITY/INTERACTIVE account is added
to the admin group. If I remove the account and then reboot, it auto
populates the admin group at next boot.

I am going to deploy this image to a number of machines, and do not want the
users to have admin access, and they will if this account is in the admin
group.

Is there a registry setting, or a MMC snap in I can use to prevent the
account from being added to the admin group at each login?

Thanks
-John
2 answers Last reply
More about authority interactive auto populating admin group

    JohnB wrote:

    > I am running XP Pro SP1, and have a issue I need to resolve.
    >
    > Every time the machine boots, the NT AUTHORITY/INTERACTIVE account
    > is added to the admin group. If I remove the account and then reboot,
    > it auto populates the admin group at next boot.
    >
    > I am going to deploy this image to a number of machines, and do not
    > want the users to have admin access, and they will if this account
    > is in the admin group.
    >
    > Is there a registry setting, or a MMC snap in I can use to prevent
    > the account from being added to the admin group at each login?
    Hi

    I would think it is something in Active Directory that pushes out this,
    and you will then need to change it there.

    This adding of the account could come from a computer startup script or
    logon script (both triggered by a GPO), or it can be a Restricted Groups
    GPO.

    More about Restricted Groups enforced with Group Policy here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uM5aZa1YDHA.440%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

    and

    How to Configure a Global Group to Be a Member of the Administrators
    Group on all Workstations
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320065

    Note that this will delete all existing members of the local group you
    apply this policy to.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks for the input Torgier,

    I am working with an image of an AD domain machine that I created and
    deployed on another machine that I made a member of a workgroup. So neither
    of these articles apply to the issue.

    I think you’re on to something with the local script, but I checked the
    logon and startup scripts in the local GPO, and both were blank.

    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    -John

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > JohnB wrote:
    >
    > > I am running XP Pro SP1, and have a issue I need to resolve.
    > >
    > > Every time the machine boots, the NT AUTHORITY/INTERACTIVE account
    > > is added to the admin group. If I remove the account and then reboot,
    > > it auto populates the admin group at next boot.
    > >
    > > I am going to deploy this image to a number of machines, and do not
    > > want the users to have admin access, and they will if this account
    > > is in the admin group.
    > >
    > > Is there a registry setting, or a MMC snap in I can use to prevent
    > > the account from being added to the admin group at each login?
    > Hi
    >
    > I would think it is something in Active Directory that pushes out this,
    > and you will then need to change it there.
    >
    > This adding of the account could come from a computer startup script or
    > logon script (both triggered by a GPO), or it can be a Restricted Groups
    > GPO.
    >

    > More about Restricted Groups enforced with Group Policy here:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uM5aZa1YDHA.440%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
    >
    > and
    >
    > How to Configure a Global Group to Be a Member of the Administrators
    > Group on all Workstations
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320065
    >
    > Note that this will delete all existing members of the local group you
    > apply this policy to.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Windows XP