Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can a donor PCB with a different cache cause any damage?

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2012 10:00:09 PM

I swapped a PCB today from an electronics shop and it works, both the old PCB and the new one have the same on board model number (2060 701590 000). but the new one (well not that new actually) has it's sticker removed so I can't confirm any further code similarity. When I checked I found that the buffer, or the cache on the new one 8 MB but the old (original) one was 16 MB. Can that cause any damage to the had drive on the long term to the other hard drive parts?
And is there any way other than the drive starts to confirm that the new PCB is a good match and won't cause any future trouble because it's a little different?

More about : donor pcb cache damage

November 13, 2012 3:35:06 AM

I shall ask the question in another way;
What kinds of tests should one on Hard drive run after PCB swap, to be confident to use the HD without worries ?
And does the difference in cache cause any problems to the HD when it doesn't match with the manufacturers specs?
Score

Best solution

a c 288 G Storage
November 13, 2012 6:02:21 PM

First backup your data.

Use a tool such as HDDScan to scan the entire surface for bad blocks.

Then examine your SMART report.

Be aware that WD boards are tuned to each drive. For optimal performance you would need to transfer the calibration data from patient to donor.

See the following thread for more detailed information and an explanation of potential problems:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292598-32-what-underl...

BTW, a full surface scan should fill/flush the entire SDRAM read cache, so this should confirm whether the difference in cache size will be an issue. Perhaps a zero-fill (data destructive) will fill/flush the write cache as well.
November 14, 2012 1:38:15 AM

Thanks a lot for your support..
Well I haven't actually done a backup of my data (still clearing some space to take those tons of data) but I'm worried a little bit.. I've used the windows 7 ''error-checking'' tool with only the ''Automatically fix file system errors'' box checked, on all my hard drive partitions, the tests gave; ''no errors were found'' for all. I also did the same test with both the boxes checked on one of my partitions but canceled the test some where near the third of the progress bar as it was taking a lot of time. Could any of that have affected the data?
Score
November 17, 2012 2:37:50 AM

Please fzabkar give me your opinion. I'm very worried about my data..
Score
November 17, 2012 2:43:43 AM

Best answer selected by ramyzenda.
Score
!