Is it true amd 955 only works on black socket AMD3+?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hey i was told by my expert friend that the AMD 955 or something like that, i wasnt listening properly, only works on the black socket, he said thats what a rumour was, not what he specifically thought.

so is this rumour true? Does it only work on the black sockets?

Also another thing, is it worth getting the AM3+ mobo? Seeing as most of them are like over 60 to 70 quid, and im looking to spend only from 40 - 50 quid?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
not nea future, probably distance future, like very distance. I want to keep this cpu for a while you know. For example maybe 6 - 7 years. I mean the pc i have right now, is a crappy pc. Click on my profile and read the thing to see how bad it is. Before i even upgraded it had 256mb of ram and also only 40gb of HDD. I got it in 2006 or so, so it was bad then, and it still is rather bad but it run OKAYISH for me. For what i do, its ok.

But i think the 955 will last much longer than this, or even a 2500 or whatever :)

Then when the time comes you might as well upgrade the whole platform and the question AM3 or AM3+ becomes redundant and you should just buy any AM3 or AM3+ board that fits your budget and requirements since even Bulldozer will be obsolete by then.

That is totally dependent on your computer usage! I for example still have a 9 year old laptop that is still useful for Internet browsing and office work.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Ok so here are my probable uses. Probably going to use it to do webbrowsing, watching videos, maybe making videos too, well actually probably making videos, photoshop/gimp useage, some gaming aswell such as dirt 2 (im getting probably the 5770 graphics card).

so what do you think?