raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I'm having a bit of a problem. Ever since I got this PC a year ago, quite frequently the video card has been crashing and resetting the driver (EVGA GTX 275 Forceware 257) and I've also been getting lots of BSODs related to the Driver IRQL Being Not Less or Equal to, usually because of ndis.sys. I could never understand why but now after going into Device Manager it says that Vista has only used IRQLs 0,5,8, and 9 for the low numbers, and then a whole bunch of stuff between 12 and 22 and then above 100. There are tons of slots of open, and yet tons of stuff are sharing. For one, I noticed that my LAN Controller and Video Card are both on IRQ 16. Funny! I could change the LAN Controller's Slot with my TV Card on IRQ 17 but if it changed it that would just mean that now my TV Card is going to crash. I only have 2 PCI Slots so I can't change the slots on either the GPU or the NIC. My BIOS won't let me change IRQs and I can't figure out how to get rid of or disable ACPI.

I've been kinda fine on this whole thing for a while but my Mom (I'm 14) got very upset today and demanded I fix it after it got the same BSOD Twice within an hour.
I would like to somehow change the IRQ for my LAN Controller or Video Card to 9, 10, or 11. How do I do this? Also, any input on this whole situation in general?

I would not mess with the IRQ settings. If you do a search on what those are, you will see why they are shared. Basically, there are more devices in use now on computers than when the IRQ system was created on the early computers. So to enable them to be used, Windows manages the whole thing. The driver crash should not have anything to do with what you are trying to fix.

Make sure your Windows installation is up-to-date with all the patches and service packs, you are using the latest video card drivers and all of your computer drivers are updated. BIOS, Chipset, etc...

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

I am up to date on everything and have confirmed the problem to be an IRQ Conflict because of shared IRQs. I know what an IRQ is and the risks/benefits of changing it.