Multiple Computers

I have three computers here that I want to be able to play Unreal
Tournament on, two MS & a Debian machine. I have two copies of UT.
Will I need to get a third so I can install & play on the Debian machine?

gorilla

Meltdown

gorilla enlightened us with:
> I have three computers here that I want to be able to play Unreal
> Tournament on, two MS & a Debian machine. I have two copies of UT.
> Will I need to get a third so I can install & play on the Debian
> machine?

Legally: yes. Technically: no. The Linux version contains no cd check,
and neither do the latest windows versions.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

No problem. I found a used copy at a local game store. The reason I
was asking, I goofed and installed UT from the same CD set the other day
and on my internal server, one of the players had issues. The bots were
sliding and would not fall when shot. After installing from a different
set, things worked fine.

gorilla

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:03:36 -0600, gorilla wrote:

> No problem. I found a used copy at a local game store. The reason I was
> asking, I goofed and installed UT from the same CD set the other day and
> on my internal server, one of the players had issues. The bots were
> sliding and would not fall when shot. After installing from a different
> set, things worked fine.

This was (is) an issue with the high detail textures. The behavior that
the player experienced is caused by the server running the normal textures
and the client running the HD textures (and maybe vice versa). There is a
fix available, but I could never get it to work.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

How about me coping all of the high-def textures to the server? I did
this on my main server, to no ill effects that I know of.

gorilla

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:57:36 -0600, fragging gorilla wrote:

> {AGUT}DeadMan wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:03:36 -0600, gorilla wrote:
>>

>>>No problem. I found a used copy at a local game store. The reason I
>>>was asking, I goofed and installed UT from the same CD set the other day
>>>and on my internal server, one of the players had issues. The bots were
>>>sliding and would not fall when shot. After installing from a different
>>>set, things worked fine.
>>

>> This was (is) an issue with the high detail textures. The behavior that
>> the player experienced is caused by the server running the normal
>> textures and the client running the HD textures (and maybe vice versa).
>> There is a fix available, but I could never get it to work.
>>

> How about me coping all of the high-def textures to the server? I did
> this on my main server, to no ill effects that I know of.

I'm pretty sure that you can install the HD textures to the server and
they will work properly. I can't verify this as I never really went to the
trouble to set them up. Just seemed a lot of bother for not very much
visual improvement (during play, they looked great while just walking
around the map). Good luck with whatever you decide.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

gorilla wrote:
> No problem. I found a used copy at a local game store. The reason I
> was asking, I goofed and installed UT from the same CD set the other day
> and on my internal server, one of the players had issues. The bots were
> sliding and would not fall when shot. After installing from a different
> set, things worked fine.

Known problem - in that version he installed "compressed textures".
Having that installed can cause issues with some servers on some
versions of ut.

--
Flash