Backing up laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 8:47:54 AM

I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
overnight.

Thanks for any help that may be given.

More about : backing laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 4:43:44 PM

lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com (Larry Bennett) wrote:
>I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
>for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
>programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
>does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
>month of each unit.

We use Norton Ghost for this, but it takes the machines out of service
for the backup time, which varies depending on disk size, but it
generally around an hour. Dunno why Ghost is so slow, but it sure
makes life easy!

> Second thing is we would like the ability to do
>incremental backups daily.

If there aren't too many files, or if you can select a particular set
of files (everything in Documents And Settings, for instance),
http://www.ajcsoft.com/ProductsAJCDirSync.php works well.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 6:03:19 PM

Larry Bennett wrote:

> I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
> for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
> programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
> does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
> month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
> incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
> backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
> overnight.
>
> Thanks for any help that may be given.

Put in a Netware server and run Zenworks imaging. All your users have to do
is attach to the network and login and Zenworks will handle the rest
without their even being aware that it's happening.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Larry Bennett" <lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com> wrote in message
>I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
> for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
> programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
> does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
> month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
> incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
> backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
> overnight.
>
> Thanks for any help that may be given.

Larry;
I use NTI Backup Now 3 for these chores just as you describe. It does a
drive image or an incremental from within Windows and does a file compare
after the image so you know your backup is good. I have used Acronis True
Image 7, but it seemed flaky on some of my machines and you need to be
confident in your backups! I had lots of issues with "poor media" with
Acronis, but this same media worked fine everywhere else.

Ken Wolf
kwolf8380@comcast.net
December 3, 2004 9:04:27 PM

call IBM for a server
"Larry Bennett" <lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com> wrote in message
>I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
> for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
> programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
> does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
> month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
> incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
> backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
> overnight.
>
> Thanks for any help that may be given.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 10:18:50 PM

"Larry Bennett" <lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com> wrote in message
|I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
| for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
| programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
| does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
| month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
| incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
| backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
| overnight.
|
| Thanks for any help that may be given.

Hi Larry -

You may be interested in reviewing Acronis TrueImage 8.0. It supports
backups from within Windows (including a full backup) as well as incremental
backups.

http://www.acronis.com

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 10:18:51 PM

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>You may be interested in reviewing Acronis TrueImage 8.0. It supports
>backups from within Windows (including a full backup) as well as incremental
>backups.
>
>http://www.acronis.com

I've heard good things about Acronis (though their enterprise product
is pretty pricey compared to Symantec/Norton Ghost), but how do they
do full image backups from within Windows? How does it support locked
files? Files that change during the backup?

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 11:44:50 PM

On 3 Dec 2004 05:47:54 -0800, lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com (Larry Bennett)
wrote:

:>I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
:>for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
:>programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
:>does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
:>month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
:>incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
:>backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
:>overnight.
:>
:>Thanks for any help that may be given.

Check out Acronis TrueImage at www.acronis.com.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 4:10:26 AM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message

| I've heard good things about Acronis (though their enterprise product
| is pretty pricey compared to Symantec/Norton Ghost), but how do they
| do full image backups from within Windows? How does it support locked
| files? Files that change during the backup?
|
| Thanks!

Hi William -

The TrueImage Corporate Workstation 8.0 Data Sheet should provide the
answers to your questions.

http://www.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageCorporateWorkstatio...

"TrueImage 8.0 takes care of hard disk and file system-level consistency via
snapshot technology."

Also, to speed the imaging process, the Paging and Hibernation files are
excluded. These are recreated by Windows upon the first boot after a
restore.

The Corporate Workstation version is US$79.99 -- a separate license would,
of course, be required for each workstation. Imaging can be initiated
across the network.

I believe the original post was requesting solutions for individual
workstations and not servers.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 4:10:27 AM

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>http://www.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageCorporateWorkstatio...

Yeah, I see that they are looking at a drive as a bunch of sectors and
doing some magic to image that collection of sectors. Doesn't that
result in drive images the size of the original hard disk?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 5:54:06 AM

| Yeah, I see that they are looking at a drive as a bunch of sectors and
| doing some magic to image that collection of sectors. Doesn't that
| result in drive images the size of the original hard disk?

Actually the compression is quite good. On my own system, my images take a
little less than 50% of the original space. I use the default "Normal"
compression. There is an option for an even greater compression level.

If you want to try the program out (the Personal/Home Office edition
anyway), you can register for a 15-day fully-functional trial.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 7:45:07 AM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:45:33 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

:>"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
:>>http://www.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageCorporateWorkstatio...
:>
:>Yeah, I see that they are looking at a drive as a bunch of sectors and
:>doing some magic to image that collection of sectors. Doesn't that
:>result in drive images the size of the original hard disk?

Nope, it only backs up "active" sectors. That is, those marked as active in
the MFT/FAT (and of course, the MFT/FAT are backed up). TrueImage does not
actually back up files as such. This is how they can optionally do their
trick of incremental backups to the same image file. Any sectors with new
or changed data are either added to the image or replaced in the image. Any
sectors that no longer have active data are removed from the image. That
eliminates one of the big problems in the past with incremental backups.
Files that were deleted between incremental backups would be put back if you
ever had to do a full restore. With TrueImage if you do incremental backups
to separate files (instead of updating the original full backup file) and
have to do a full restore you won't get the deleted stuff back either
because each separate backup image file will update the hard drive MFT/FAT
with the latest "active" sectors.

Also, you can use TrueImage to clone a drive and to mount images as a
virtual drive for individual file extraction.

For more details on how it works you can download the user guide for the
different versions at www.acronis.com.

Good luck,
me/2
December 5, 2004 10:22:22 AM

Be careful with True Image, I'm having issues with it again and it
appears Acronis has given up, they won't write any more, still have
not solved the problems. Beware SP2 and Acronis.

My laptop is Thinkpad.

Jim

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:18:50 GMT, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Larry Bennett" <lwbennett@pdpgroupinc.com> wrote in message
>|I am a Network Admin for a company that uses about 10 to 15 laptops
>| for managers and executives. Does anyone have any ideas on any
>| programs to backup these devices? We are looking for something that
>| does 2 things actually. One it does a complete backup or image once a
>| month of each unit. Second thing is we would like the ability to do
>| incremental backups daily. We would rather have something that can
>| backup during the day while they are here and not have them leave them
>| overnight.
>|
>| Thanks for any help that may be given.
>

>Hi Larry -
>
>You may be interested in reviewing Acronis TrueImage 8.0. It supports
>backups from within Windows (including a full backup) as well as incremental
>backups.
>
>http://www.acronis.com
>
>Jef

December 5, 2004 10:25:10 AM

Amen. There are two types of Acronis users, those who have had
disasters and those who haven't had them yet. Same can be said of
Partition Magic.

Jim

!