Would love advice on a sub $1000 gaming system

Mozo293

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'm new here and I reviewed many posts and found some great advice. I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to give me feedback on my rig I'm thinking of building. I am NOT worried about overclocking and minor speed diffs in memory, for example. I'm more interested in stability, cool, quiet, saving money (and of course decent gaming experience). My only req. is that I already have CPU and Video card (long story) and that I want SLI. My concern was I never liked Nvidia on my MB (had trouble in the past) but I'm hoping it's gotten better:

I have all of this on Newegg for just under $1000 w shipping/tax.

ASUS M4N98TD EVO ATX AMD Motherboard

*AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor* [fixed]

*GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) GV-N460OC-1GI Video Card* [pretty much fixed though I could pawn off to friend]

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B

Rosewill RC-701 Sound Card [because I heard int. sound card on MB was terrible]

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Much thanks in advance.

Mozo

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
I'd suggest trying the integrated sound first. If not then get that, I'd be surprised if it's really needed.

I'd also suggest getting a 870 chipset mobo and just going single card. Then you don't need to worry about having to have nvidia on the mobo. I've never particularly liked that either, had problems everytime personally.

Maybe the HAF 922 instead of that case. I think it's cheaper/better/the same.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
The COOLER MASTER HAF 922 is bigger (wider) has holes for water cooling, if you are so inclined. Current cost including shipping is $100.

I have the scout, and it is a nice case and has adequate room - have seen the Noctua NH-D14 installed in it. The best part is that it is on sale: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout for $60 including shipping. Oh, if you are into adding some extra case lights, it has a much nicer side panel.

Here are some pics:

105sd9i.jpg
33ddog8.jpg