Sign in with
Your question

Transfer Speed Problem

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2012 2:05:58 AM

Can't seem to figure this one out.... maybe I'm missing something

Here is my setup.

I have MacbookPro with 1000/mbps transfer speed hooked up by a cat 6 cable into my Airport Extreme again 1000/mbps transfer speed. I have a Fantom Green Harddrive connected via USB (2.0). Where I transfer 10 files or 100 files, the max transfer I'm seeing in my network utility is around 10mbps..

I have no clue why it's so slow. Anybody have a solution for this?

I've been searching and searching but couldn't find anything ...

Is there a free tool out there can can test all these connections to see where the bottleneck might be?

Thanks

More about : transfer speed problem

November 13, 2012 2:08:34 AM

Forgot to mention I'm transferring it to a DLINK NAS 323 with Raid 1 (2 WD Green Drives SATAII 3mb/s)
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:27:16 AM

You may have a 1000Mbs router, but the problem is the HD because it is running off a usb 2.0 connection. the USB is the cause of the slow down.
To be honest I would put a HD caddy in the pc and use the drive that way other than Usb as the interface will be faster.
Are the link speeds set up at both ends for 1000Mbps also. Link speed can be changed from the driver of the network card.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 3:26:42 PM

Thanks Weaselman,

just an update.

I checked my network card on my mac and it's set to Auto (1000 base-T / MTU1500). I also tried playing with the settings by setting to manual (1000 base-T / MTU 9000 Jumbo) nothing really changed on my tests so I left it to Auto.

My Fantom Drive is has a transfer rate of 300MB/S.
My Nas Device is 1000 base-T compatibile
My Nas Drives are WD Caviar Green spec'd at SATA 3.0Gb/s

So you think it's the USB spec that's the bottleneck?

I haven't run the real world numbers but I still should be getting higher than 10mb/s?

m
l
a b G Storage
November 16, 2012 8:45:43 PM

rurth24 said:
Thanks Weaselman,

just an update.

I checked my network card on my mac and it's set to Auto (1000 base-T / MTU1500). I also tried playing with the settings by setting to manual (1000 base-T / MTU 9000 Jumbo) nothing really changed on my tests so I left it to Auto.

My Fantom Drive is has a transfer rate of 300MB/S.
My Nas Device is 1000 base-T compatibile
My Nas Drives are WD Caviar Green spec'd at SATA 3.0Gb/s

So you think it's the USB spec that's the bottleneck?

I haven't run the real world numbers but I still should be getting higher than 10mb/s?

You may have double issues here.
1_ Your My Fantom DOES NOT has a transfer rate of 300MB/S. It is a USB2.0 as you stated.
2_ Your NAS is a SoC (System on a Chip) there is not much power to it. You are lucky to get about 10MB/s

Your NAS is the issue here... Ttry this...
Move a BIG File (6GB ) to your internal HDD - SATA to SSD and see how fast is can tranfered. It Should be less then 20MB/s.

When you write to a RAID1, this RAID will tax the little processor of the NAS. There is not much left horse power to run anything else
m
l
November 26, 2012 12:06:17 PM

FireWire2 said:
1_ Your My Fantom DOES NOT has a transfer rate of 300MB/S. It is a USB2.0 as you stated.
2_ Your NAS is a SoC (System on a Chip) there is not much power to it. You are lucky to get about 10MB/s

Move a BIG File (6GB ) to your internal HDD - SATA to SSD and see how fast is can tranfered. It Should be less then 20MB/s.

When you write to a RAID1, this RAID will tax the little processor of the NAS. There is not much left horse power to run anything else

Thanks Firewire.. now that that thanksgiving has passed and I can spend some extra time on this. I'm going to try some of your suggestions.

I'll let you know the outcome.
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:35:37 AM

FireWire2 said:

Firewire, so I did a quick test of transferring a 11.2 gb folder of images from:

Phantom Drive to Desktop = 5mins (transfer rate = 35MB/s)
NAS Drive to Desktop = 9mins (transfer rate = 25MB/s)

From Phantom to Nas = 19mins (transfer rate = 11MB/s)

Any thoughts?

m
l
a b G Storage
November 30, 2012 8:32:45 PM

It seems you USB and NIC use the same IRQ, check that!
m
l
December 5, 2012 2:03:01 AM

Just read that MacOSX won't ever have an IRQ conflict...
m
l
a b G Storage
December 7, 2012 11:57:04 PM

You're right!.. This is a interesting issue. Let me digging some more
m
l
!