Did I get a defective PSU?

mreos

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Finished assembling my new computer (parts listed below), installed Win7 x64 and loaded up all my software and data. Everything seemed fine until... *blink* ... computer just turned off like the plug was pulled. Re-booted and it ran fine for a week. Then... *blink* ... again. Then it started doing it more frequently. Very light loads on the CPU when this happened - just browsing the net. Nothing shows in Event Log before the crash - just "unexpected shutdown" afterwards. I've run Chkdsk and memtest with no errors.

I first suspected too much heat since I'm using a small case and mATX board - but the utility that came with my motherboard never showed higher than 80C even when stressing it. Nothing overclocked.

I'm now suspecting the PSU.

Hard to pin down an intermittent problem... but are these symptoms consistent with a defective PSU? Are they capable of having random blips or do they fail consistently. I mean, can they work fine for a week, then *blink*, then work fine for awhile....

Here's the parts list - let me know if you have any other ideas. I did a lot of searching of the forums and checked everything in the "Won't boot Guide." I'm using latest BIOS and all drivers are up-to-date.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 342
PSU: Corsair HX620
Mobo: Asus Rampage III Gene mATX
CPU: Intel i7-950 w/stock heatsink and fan
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1600 Pi
GPU: Asus ENGTX460
HDD: W'rn Digital Black SATA 6Gb/s
DVD: Asus quiet track from old computer.

Thanks for any insight...

mreos

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I swapped out the brand new Corsair HX620 PSU with my old Antec, and the computer has run without problem for over a week, including about 4 hours on Prime95. Guess I got one of the rare Corsair products that escaped quality control.