MSI Z68MA-ED55 vs ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z

lemonchicken

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hi :D

Tom's Hardware's been a long standing resource for me and I'm happy to now be a part of the forum :)

anyway I'm looking to beef up my htpc [from a phenom x4/4gb DDR2] to a 2600k 4gb DDR3. narrowed down my matx mobo choices to the MSI Z68MA-ED55 and the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z.

Z68 seems to be the latest in tech gfx/processor-wise so at the moment, so that's why it's one of these boards.. As far as I'm aware, Asus are leading the way in the mobo market, but im interested in how MSI are standing up to that..

The specs/price are similar but I'd like some opinions from real people who (preferably) have owned both MSI and ASUS boards.. any opinion on either manufacturer welcome though...

also is 1600mhz DDR3 most suitable for use with the 2600k?

cheers :pt1cable:

lemonchicken

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Now looking into Ivy Bridge & wondering whether it's worth waiting for.

any ideas on how much of a difference will 22mn be compared to the 32mn Sandys'..?

Ultimately, when do you think the Ivy Bridge will be released, and when they are, are they gona be more than £300 from day one??

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
not worth waiting for imo...the move to 22nm will be great for energy saving, oc , among some others...but not worth waiting... you can get great sandy bridge chips now and throw it into the msi board...the maximus iv gene-z is great for what it will offer...but i would suggest going with the msi board to save some money

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130596&Tpk=msiz68ma

The M4EG-Z will be about 40-50 more..so, its your call...but why not save some cash and put it towards an msi gtx 570 twin frozr II

lemonchicken

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
OK thanks, more than likely will land with the MSI board.

leaning towards an i5 2500k and the possibility of upgrading to Ivy mid 2012 seeing as they'l both be 1155 & hopefully not astronomically expensive.

The 2600k is ~50% more expensive than the 2500k.
--Are there any major technological changes between the two regarding speed, capacity & noise? is the 2600k really worth so much more??

Tempted by the 2600k because it's simply an i7 -the i5's are made out to be way behind the i7's in terms of price --but the benchmarks argue little change between them/

Obviously I want the latest in tech, but if there's no real difference I might as well grab a 3tb hd with money saved.

Has anyone here used both processors intensively and been noticeably impressed with the 2600k over the 2500k?

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I've used the two processors in question...and it would be foolish to get the 2600k, unless your rendering or in need of many threads...I assure you for what your doing the 2500k will more than exceed your expectations..I had a very modest overclock at 4.3ghz (unbelievably easy to get)..and it performed so wonderfully...I implore you to get the i5 and save the 100+ taxes..you're better off using the additional funds for anything else! The i7 will only make you feel like you have the best...but, it's better to use your head and get the i5...when oc really high the i5 is just gorgeous... do the right thing!