Linux - UT2004 - only init 5

Last response: in Video Games
November 17, 2004 4:24:00 PM

I did reconfigue my system to boot on init 3 level, then I noticed that
UT2004 doesn't work if I start the x server with
# startx
Only when the /etc/inittab default level is 5 UT2004 will start.

Does anybody have a solution for me beside level 5 init ;-)

GG
Kees
--
Many are called, few volunteer.
Linux Registered User #300181 | ICQ #179658498

More about : linux ut2004 init

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 4:24:01 PM

On 17 Nov 2004 13:24:00 GMT, Kees de Koster
<root@dragonhill.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>I did reconfigue my system to boot on init 3 level, then I noticed that
>UT2004 doesn't work if I start the x server with
># startx
>Only when the /etc/inittab default level is 5 UT2004 will start.
>
>Does anybody have a solution for me beside level 5 init ;-)
>
>GG
>Kees

Yes, use Windows.

<Folk runs for the hills>
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 9:18:14 PM

In article <1g1np0l361rkdr7465kfc22ev8kjtsjchm@4ax.com>, Folk wrote:

[...]

> Yes, use Windows.

LOL :-S

GG
Kees
--
BOFH excuse #59: failed trials, system needs redesigned
Linux Registered User #300181 | ICQ #179658498
Visit me at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kostercd/ -- # EOE
Related resources
November 18, 2004 12:17:11 AM

Kees de Koster enlightened us with:
> I did reconfigue my system to boot on init 3 level, then I noticed
> that UT2004 doesn't work if I start the x server with
> # startx

Well, why doesn't it start? What do you get in your log file? It's in
~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.log. Give us something to work with!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
November 18, 2004 11:46:53 AM

Kees de Koster enlightened us with:
> Well here it comes ;-)

I don't see anything wrong in the log file. What does UT2004 spit out
on the console when you try to start it?

> It seems like a GLX issue, the difference between startx and init 5
> seems to that the x server runs with different permissions.

I don't think so, but it might have set permissions in /dev/ the wrong
way. I can't help you there, though, since you provided no information
what so ever about you hardware or your OS. We're not psychic you
know.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:46:54 AM

In article <slrncpokre.s51.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com>, MeltDown wrote:
> Kees de Koster enlightened us with:
>> Well here it comes ;-)
>
> I don't see anything wrong in the log file. What does UT2004 spit out
> on the console when you try to start it?
>
>> It seems like a GLX issue, the difference between startx and init 5
>> seems to that the x server runs with different permissions.
>
> I don't think so, but it might have set permissions in /dev/ the wrong
> way. I can't help you there, though, since you provided no information
> what so ever about you hardware or your OS. We're not psychic you
> know.
>
> MeltDown

Thanks for coaching :-)

The distro is Mandrake 10.0 with a nvidia FX 5700.

In de logs from UT and XFree I didn't find a clue but in /dev/stderr I
did find a message, "Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the
permissions are too resticitive. Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED
QUESTIONS section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps to
correct."

The relevant info from that file says:
Q: OpenGL applications exit with the following error message:

Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
are too restrictive. Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
to correct.

A: It is likely that a security module for the PAM system may be
changing the permissions on the NVIDIA device files. In most cases
this security system works, but it can get confused. To correct this
problem it is recommended that you disable this security feature.
Different Linux distributions have different files to control this;
please consult with your distributor for the correct method of
disabling this security feature. As an example, if your system has
the file
/etc/security/console.perms
then you should edit the file and remove the line that starts with
"<dri>" (we have also received reports that additional references to
<dri> in console.perms must be removed, but this has not been verified
by NVIDIA). If instead your system has the file
/etc/logindevperms
then you should edit the file and remove the line that lists
/dev/nvidiactl. The above steps will prevent the PAM security system
from modifying the permissions on the NVIDIA device files. Next,
you will need to reset the permissions on the device files back
to their original permissions and owner. You can do that with the
following commands:
chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia* chown root /dev/nvidia*

So that was the solution, now it runs very smooth. In Mandrake I did
also add a permission rule in msec otherwise the permission is set back
again constantly.

GG
Kees
--
This is NOT a repeat.
Linux Registered User #300181 | ICQ #179658498
Visit me at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kostercd/ -- # EOE
November 18, 2004 5:28:53 PM

Kees de Koster enlightened us with:
> So that was the solution, now it runs very smooth.

Good! Nice that you figured it out on your own :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 10:28:53 AM

Kees de Koster <root@dragonhill.xs4all.nl> wrote in

> I did reconfigue my system to boot on init 3 level, then I noticed that
> UT2004 doesn't work if I start the x server with
> # startx
> Only when the /etc/inittab default level is 5 UT2004 will start.
>
> Does anybody have a solution for me beside level 5 init ;-)
>
> GG
> Kees

Hey, can I come over and kick your ass for that icon you got saying "free
palistine." How about freeing my boot from up your ass dickhead.
!