Uninterruptible Power Supply in Spain

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I'm moving to Spain soon and was wondering whether it would be best to a get
a UPS here in the UK before I leave or pick one up in Spain? Would a UK device
work ok in Spain? I'm taking my UK computer with me and need a UPS due to
blackouts that are more common in Spain than the UK.

Ideally I'd like to use a UK device as the documentation will be in English...

Any help is much appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about uninterruptible power supply spain
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Neil <ncmv101@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I'm moving to Spain soon and was wondering whether it would be best to a get
    > a UPS here in the UK before I leave or pick one up in Spain? Would a UK device

    Pick one up in spain. What's the point in lugging lead on other like
    stuff over on a plane? And then there's always the 60Hz/50Hz thing to
    worry about. And the plug, should you bother about those things instead
    of simply ramming the bare wires into the outlet ...

    > work ok in Spain? I'm taking my UK computer with me and need a UPS due to
    > blackouts that are more common in Spain than the UK.

    Well, maybe. Can't say I've ever seen one in the UK. They happen about
    10-20 times a year in madrid. Not That I'd Care Too Much. They
    generally last longer than a UPS will see you through when they happen.
    Maybe there are some minor spikes that they save you from, but dust is
    a bigger killer here! It's dry. Sleve earing fans last about 3 months.

    > Ideally I'd like to use a UK device as the documentation will be in English...

    It'll still be in english. Do you think the taiwanese write in spanish?
    If you get a spanish manual, it'll be in addition to or as part of a
    multilingual thing that makes no sense in any particular language.

    Just go to PC City or MediaMarkt when you arrive. Or the local corner
    shop.

    Peter
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    First place to look is the UPS specification numbers and the
    label adjacent to power inlet. Numbers are absolutely
    essential - which is an 'of course' statement. UK and Spain
    are suppose to have same electricity per EU directives. Does
    your Spanish location conform to standards? Do they provide
    electricity as listed on your label?

    In theory, all you need do is replace a UK power cord with a
    Spanish cord - to match different wall receptacles. However
    you did not provide important numbers as defined in paragraph
    one. Therefore every response must be regarded as
    speculation. You must perform confirmations - read the labels
    and put maximum attention on those numbers. No one else can
    do that because you did not post the numbers.

    Without those numbers, we can only say what should be ...
    not what is. The UPS 'should' work just fine in Spain.

    Neil wrote:
    > I'm moving to Spain soon and was wondering whether it would be best
    > to a get a UPS here in the UK before I leave or pick one up in Spain?
    > Would a UK device work ok in Spain? I'm taking my UK computer with
    > me and need a UPS due to blackouts that are more common in Spain than
    > the UK.
    >
    > Ideally I'd like to use a UK device as the documentation will be in
    > English...
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On 3 Dec 2004 08:33:29 -0800, ncmv101@yahoo.com (Neil) wrote:

    >I'm moving to Spain soon and was wondering whether it would be best to a get
    >a UPS here in the UK before I leave or pick one up in Spain? Would a UK device
    >work ok in Spain? I'm taking my UK computer with me and need a UPS due to
    >blackouts that are more common in Spain than the UK.
    >
    >Ideally I'd like to use a UK device as the documentation will be in English...
    >
    >Any help is much appreciated.

    I have a UK-bought one and a Spanish-bought one. (Just changed the
    plug on the UK one, and all's well - been running 18 months now).

    Documentation for the Spanish one is close to non-existent apart from
    the online help, but that should be enough for most people.

    These things are noticeably cheaper in the UK than Spain, but carting
    them around Europe is a pain because of the weight. The Spanish one
    was specified to give 30 minutes uptime on a single PC with 17" CRT
    monitor, and cost nearly €500 from one of the chains here (Beep).

    Depending on where you are, you may also need to think about
    heat/cold/dust/damp - this country has a lot of different extreme
    climatic conditions, some of them occurring in the same place at
    different times of year! Aircon and modern windows are recommended
    for PC health.

    --
    All the best
    David Millen