Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A little help..

Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2011 9:07:48 PM

Okay, here goes.. two days ago I decided to update my bios.. I downloaded the file to my flash drive, and installed it from DOS. Everything went well until it asked me to reboot my computer, and then everything went downhill xD
My mobo is a MSI 870s-g46 which I believe is an AMI bios. Before the flash, everything was working fine, but no it won't post or anything..
about all it does when I hit the power button is turn the fans on.. there's no hdd activity/leds on my keyboard on, and I'm not sure if the usb drives are working.

What I want to know is this - is the bios flash the problem, and how can I fix it? I was just thinking about buying a whole new mobo next month, but I wanted
to try and see if I could get this one to work again fist.

If you need anymore information, let me know please.

PS: I can't RMA it, I don't have the packaging it came in, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

CPU - AMD Phenom BE 555(no overclocking)
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 gigs @ 1600mhz
GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770(no overclocking)

More about : question

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 9:24:34 PM

Why can't you rma it? Msi will accept an rma as long as there is no physical damage to the board (shorts, burn marks, modifications, etc.) I would go ahead and request one. To possibly get your board going, try using the cmos jumper to reset the bios. Move the jumper over one position keeping two of the three pins covered, then return to the original position. Do this with the power supply unplugged.
June 20, 2011 9:27:51 PM

o1die said:
Why can't you rma it? Msi will accept an rma as long as there is no physical damage to the board (shorts, burn marks, modifications, etc.) I would go ahead and request one. To possibly get your board going, try using the cmos jumper to reset the bios. Move the jumper over one position keeping two of the three pins covered, then return to the original position. Do this with the power supply unplugged.

I'll go try that.. and let you know if it worked or not. And I didn't know that about the rma from them

It didn't work.. how long are you supposed to keep the pin in the second position?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 9:28:41 PM

Another way of resetting the BIOS is to remove the motherboard battery for a few seconds.
m
l
June 20, 2011 9:32:44 PM

rolli59 said:
Another way of resetting the BIOS is to remove the motherboard battery for a few seconds.

I tried that as well.. no luck
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 11:36:51 PM

Go to msi's website and fill out an rma form. Give them 24 hours to respond. Then find a good box and ship it by priority mail with a printed label that includes the rma number. You don't have to use ups or fedex. The post office is cheaper. Ship only the board not the accessories. It takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement. And don't flash the new board. Flashing is only needed with a cpu change and only if required.
m
l
June 21, 2011 3:02:23 AM

Best answer selected by daemias.
m
l
June 21, 2011 3:03:14 AM

Thanks for your help.. and I finally figured it out. My mobo has 4 ram slots.. after the bios flash, I just left the ram in the same slots, but I just changed them to the other two.. and now everything is working again. Thank you for the information :) 
m
l
!