Sign in with
Your question

Nas 2200 raid 1 drive removal

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2012 1:09:16 PM

Hi there!

Im trying to move my data from my Thecus N2200 (Raid 1) to Synology Ds212 NAS and i was hoping to just pull one of the drives out of the N2200, wipe it, place it in a Firewire enclosure, copy all the data from the remaining drive in the Thecus to the newly wiped drive in the Firewire Enclosure, the remove the last drive from the Thecus, stick it in the Ds212, wipe it and migrate the data from the firewire drive and finally place that drive in the Ds212 and mirror the raid. But when i removed the drive from the thecus (step 1) and rebooted the N2200, there were apparently no files on the remaining drive in the N2200. So i put the drive back in and rebooted and all the files were there. Worrying. The Raid is intact so there should be data mirrored on both drives. That's the whole point, if one fails the other has a copy. Before i try it again with the other drive in the adjacent bay, any thoughts? Is there a particular drive that has to stay in the N2200, like bay 1 always has to have one in but bay 2 can be removed?

Kind regards,

Sai
a b G Storage
November 13, 2012 5:33:09 PM

I don't have a any of these NAS devices, but if it was RAID1, then the data should be mirrored so you can pull any of the drive. Since one drive is empty, then your raid is probably degraded or you are not actually running RAID1. Check the error logs on the Thecus to ensure nothing is out of order. You could also use the empty drive for you data migration.

Another option for your data migration is to copy data from NAS to NAS. Check if your NAS support any syncing protocol (such as rsync). That would speed up your migration by eliminating one step.
November 15, 2012 8:54:50 AM

Nothing_But_NAS said:
I don't have a any of these NAS devices, but if it was RAID1, then the data should be mirrored so you can pull any of the drive. Since one drive is empty, then your raid is probably degraded or you are not actually running RAID1. Check the error logs on the Thecus to ensure nothing is out of order. You could also use the empty drive for you data migration.

Another option for your data migration is to copy data from NAS to NAS. Check if your NAS support any syncing protocol (such as rsync). That would speed up your migration by eliminating one step.

Thanks mate i shall give that a test as soon as i can. Normally there is a beep warning or the light on the front is not illuminated if the RAID has degraded but i shall check in the UI as soon as i get the chance and get back to you.

Ill also check out this rsync you speak of also coz that would just be fantastic if that worked!

Sai
Related resources
November 21, 2012 5:20:29 PM

Nothing_But_NAS said:

Ok finally got to this, the RAID 1 is fine, its healthy and both disks are present. If i could upload a screenshot i would. Any other thoughts mate?

Sai
a b G Storage
November 21, 2012 6:04:26 PM

Sounds like you're not running RAID1. If you are indeed running RAID1, looks like Thecus have an unusual implementation which does not allow degraded operation. You should contact Thecus support for assistance. If you can't pull one drive out, the other option is to backup your data, move both drives then restore your data from backup.
November 21, 2012 6:15:01 PM

It is RAID1 as the software tells me it is. I tried Thecus support many times and cannot get a reply from them, hence why i came here.

Cheers for trying.
!