New i5 760 build having some overheating issues.

Jester2007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hello everyone, I recently built a gaming computer with the limited budget I had.

Once I got the machine up and running I immediately checked the BIOS and noticed the CPU temperature at 65C and climbing, it finally stopped at around 75C so I shut it down, reapplied the heat sink material, rebooted, and finished installing Windows. Once I made it to the desktop, I installed the utilities that came via the motherboard DVD.

Right now I have the Mode Setting at Max. Power Saving (Vcore is at 0.78v) and the CPU temp is around 45C at idle. While running the Prime95 stress test, the temp reaches up to 70C with the CPU fan running at 2500 RPM.

If I dare change the Mode Setting to Auto the CPU temp sits at 50C at idle. I tried running Prime95 and immediately stopped the test once I saw the temp reach 98C.

I guess my question is why are my temperatures so high?
And what can I do about it?

I've been using the motherboard utilities but I've also checked the BIOS and everything is on the default settings.
Although I am using the stock cooler I've been reading that temps like these are pretty much unheard of.

Here's my build:

CPU : Intel i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz
MB : ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
RAM : G.Skill DDR3 1600 2 x 2 GB
GPU : XFX Radeon HD 4870
PSU : Antec EarthWatts 650W
HD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.0 SATA
Case : XCLIO Windtunnel

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Jester2007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Ahh, I forgot to mention.
I have central air conditioning that stays around 80F (my parents are super cheap =P.) There's also a ceiling fan that's always on so its prob ~78F.

And yeah I'm using the stock cooler (heat sink and fan), seated and reseated with freshly applied thermal compound.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) 45C isn't to bad considering your ambient temps are in the upper 70's.

2) I would invest in an aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to help drop your temps. Your stock cooler can't cut it with the higher ambient temps IMO.

Jester2007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

1) I understand 45C may not be too bad. Consider, though, that this is at Maximum Power Saving mode. Meaning my CPU is not running at full capacity. Is 45C really average at such low settings?

2) I've considered that cooler, I'm kinda worried about it's size though. Would it fit well in my machine?

sk1n5

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
First off, i was going to ask if you had adequate airflow in the case. Wow, 2 240mm fans? No problems there. The only possible problem I can think of is that the heatsink is just not seated properly, which is no fault of your own. I've been digging around in the forums and have found a lot of people having problems with the stock intel cooler. In my opinion your two options are to continue to try to get a good seating on the stock cooler (and then, if you get it to work, never touch it again... EVER), or invest in something aftermarket that doesn't have those lousy pushpins. Hope this helps.

Jester2007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Ok, on the weekend I'm gonna try to re-re-apply the compound and re-re-seat the cpu/cooler =P.
I'll let ya know how it works out.
Otherwise I'll be trying to get that cooler (it's kinda hard because I live on an island).

Anyway, thanks a ton for the input and hopefully you won't hear from me again =P.

tecmo34

Administrator

You are on the right path on what you plan on doing this weekend... :)

1) You bring up a good point that I missed. It should be lower if your CPU is running at lower speeds. Again, this points back to four things IMO... 1) Improper TIM application, 2) Heat Sink not fully seated, 3) Stock heat sink not adequate to do the job, or 4) some combination of all four.

2) An aftermarket cooler will fit just fine. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fit just fine in an Antec 300 Illusion, which is only 8.10" wide, were the XCLIO is 9.45" wide.