Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P8P67 pro VS. ASROCK P67 extreme4!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 20, 2011 9:35:05 PM

Hello everyone!

Quick question here: which mobo is better?

1. ASUS P8P67 Pro (REV 3.0)

2. ASROCK P67 Extreme4 (B3)

I will be overclocking.

I can get 'em both for the same price.

Usually I'd pick the ASUS over the ASROCK, but the negative reviews on NEWEGG got me kind of scared about the ASUS.

Any P8P67 pro owners that could tell me if they got any problems with the mobo so far?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :D 

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 20, 2011 11:17:39 PM

I've seen reports on the ASUS P8P67 Pro but most are corrected with the latest BIOS prior to installing the OS. Since ASUS owns ASRock the only real differences are the 'doodads' and number of Phases for OC.

There's no guarantees with ANY MOBO and most problems are people just bitching because they don't know update their BIOS/EFI.

So choices, IMO if a 4.5GHz+ OC is the goal with either SB K CPUs then the ASUS, and if you like BlueTooth then clearly the ASUS P8P67 Pro, otherwise the ASRock P67 Extreme4. You may want to check out the GA-Z68XP-UD4.

Side-by-Side -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-753^13-131-753-TS%2C13-128-507^13-128-507-TS%2C13-131-703^13-131-703-TS%2C13-157-231^13-157-231-TS%2C13-157-229^13-157-229-TS

June 20, 2011 11:34:30 PM

jaquith said:
So choices, IMO if a 4.5GHz+ OC is the goal with either SB K CPUs then the ASUS, and if you like BlueTooth then clearly the ASUS P8P67 Pro, otherwise the ASRock P67 Extreme4. You may want to check out the GA-Z68XP-UD4.

Even taking into consideration that right now I can get both the ASUS and the ASROCK for the same price?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 11:38:56 PM

Asus does own ASRock....but ASRock operates as an Independent Subsidiary, which means Asus does not actually control them.

Also, the ASRock P67 Extreme4 is rather good for overclocking....have seen systems running upwards of 5ghz on that particular board...
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:41:20 PM

sykozis said:
Asus does own ASRock....but ASRock operates as an Independent Subsidiary, which means Asus does not actually control them.

Also, the ASRock P67 Extreme4 is rather good for overclocking....have seen systems running upwards of 5ghz on that particular board...

Most reviews I've seen claim the superiority of ASROCK P67 extreme4 over ASUS P8P67 pro mainly because of the price difference.

But, and this is big BUT, I can get them both for the exact same price!

That's why I want to know which one is actually BETTER, not taking into consideration the $$$.

:/ 

EDIT: I've seen a couple of ASUS P8P67 pro features, such like TPU and EPU. Do those really matter? Does the ASROCK P67 extreme4 has them as well?

m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 20, 2011 11:46:03 PM

martinduque86 said:
...I can get both the ASUS and the ASROCK for the same price?

ASUS P8P67 Pro

Huh, ASUS designs ALL of the MOBOs - period!
m
l
June 21, 2011 12:06:58 AM

jaquith said:
ASUS P8P67 Pro

Seriously? and why is that (other than me being able to get it for the same price as an ASROCK P67 extreme4)?

Thanks. :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 12:16:08 AM

jaquith said:
ASUS P8P67 Pro

Not true. Asus and ASRock operate independently of each other....hense the "Independent Subsidiary"....

Asus designs Asus boards...ASRock designs ASRock boards. They are, for all intents and purposes, 2 separate companies.
m
l
June 21, 2011 12:23:51 AM

sykozis said:
Not true. Asus and ASRock operate independently of each other....hense the "Independent Subsidiary"....

Asus designs Asus boards...ASRock designs ASRock boards. They are, for all intents and purposes, 2 separate companies.

So, which one would you say is superior (taking everything BUT price in consideration, as I can get them both for the same price). The ASROCK P8P67 pro or the ASROCK P67 extreme4?

m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 21, 2011 12:38:47 AM

sykozis said:

That would be 100% dumb and wasteful i.e. very poor management, waste of resources for their designers, engineers, and any talent they have in their company not to mention purchasing power. Engineering - It would be like reinventing the wheel over and over.

A company's #1 objective = MONEY, #2 objective = SAVE MONEY, #3 objective = POOL RESOURCES.

Don't be so naive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 12:48:39 AM

martinduque86 said:
So, which one would you say is superior (taking everything BUT price in consideration, as I can get them both for the same price). The ASROCK P8P67 pro or the ASROCK P67 extreme4?

I'll just chime in cuz Im shopping around for these or similar boards and found that "compare" link quite useful. I'd have to lean toward the Asus board for the 3 year warranty versus 2 years for the ASRock, and I'd pay more for it. Not a lot but a little. Reading about everyone's fun times with their support and you might need that extra year to get something done (i kid).
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 21, 2011 12:56:22 AM

And what's not listed are the Phases:
ASUS P8P67 Pro = 12 + 2
ASRock P67 Extreme4 = 8 + 2

Since 12 phases produces less heat/watt verses 8 the ASUS in an 'ideal world' should last longer, smoother OC, and provide more power to the CPU if and when needed.
m
l
June 21, 2011 3:17:41 AM

So far I'm leaning for the ASUS P8P67 pro.

I've been reading some reviews, and most of them seem to advocate for the ASUS P8P67 pro as a strong, well-built motherboard, packed with features and incredible overclocking capabilities. After reading most of them gotta say I'm no longer THAT worried about the crappy newegg reviews.

I've also found a couple of great reviews for the ASROCK P67 extreme4, but most of them seem to lean on the price difference as the main consideration when choosing the extreme4 over its competition.

The ASROCK P67 extreme4 looks like a very strong option, but it lacks many of the bells-and-whistles the ASUS P8P67 offers, in this case, for the same buck (including the superior overclocking capabilities).

So, unless I hear any objections, I think I will be going for the ASUS P8P67 pro.

Any thoughts?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 3:18:20 AM

jaquith said:
That would be 100% dumb and wasteful i.e. very poor management, waste of resources for their designers, engineers, and any talent they have in their company not to mention purchasing power. Engineering - It would be like reinventing the wheel over and over.

A company's #1 objective = MONEY, #2 objective = SAVE MONEY, #3 objective = POOL RESOURCES.

Don't be so naive.

The idea is that the 2 companies operate independently of each other, which actually promotes higher profits. The idea behind the spin-off of ASRock was to handle OEM, Entry-level and Budget markets....leaving Asus to handle Mid-range and High-End markets. Having 2 engineering departments allows each company to focus on their intended markets, without sacrificing product quality in "extra" markets. It's easy to say they share an R&D team based on the fact that their boards share many of the same features...but if you look at ALL of the products in each market segment, you'll notice that they all share the same feature set. Most of Gigabyte's competing boards have the same features as the ASRock and Asus equivalent products. If you look at the brand specific features, ASRock has "Instant Boot"...which Asus does not. Asus has their ExpressGate...which ASRock does not. Asus and ASRock even use different methods to conserve power....ASRock's being IES (Intelligent Energy Saver) and Asus having their "EPU"....though the same purpose, they are not the same technology as they function differently. They do share the EZ-Flash and OC Profile software though.

BTW, the ASRock version of the P8P67 Pro....is the ASRock P67 Extreme6....except it has 18 power phases...
m
l
June 23, 2011 10:59:46 AM

Lizard_of_Bodom said:
Have you read this?:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-rou...
very good article, helped me to decide.
Has OC checked for all of them as well (but on i7 wchich doesnt do as high).

Ya I went for the ASUS P8P67 pro. I still like very much the ASROCK P67 extreme4, that would be my second choice. I plan on overclocking the cr*p out of this rig... plus BLUETOOTH (everything's better with bluetooth)! ;) 
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:16:24 AM

Best answer selected by martinduque86.
m
l
!