Status
Not open for further replies.

intenseblue98rt

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Im building my first computer and have a quick question about installing the standoffs for my Sabertooth P67 ATX board inside my CM Elite 430 mid tower case. The standoffs that come with the case dont all match. I have 7 that are the same and 2 that are slightly longer. It doesnt explain this in the case manual. What do I do? Thanks.

standoffsx1.jpg

intenseblue98rt

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
No the 2 center slots are for a mini atx board if in not mistaken. I have a full size atx board. I would expect part of the mounting surface to be recessed to accommodate the 2 longer standoffs but it isnt.

Strange. I think you have found a defect in packaging. With the standoffs all installed, the motherboard should be level, and not bent.
Looking at the back of the motherboard photo, I do not see any place where the mounting holes may be recessed, needing a longer part.

I think I would contact ASUS support. They will mail you the correct parts.

In the mean time, use 7 of the 9 that are the same.

You can probably pick up a couple of proper sized standoffs at a local repair shop.

If you are handy, just grind off the longer protrusion.

intenseblue98rt

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

I thought about it being a defect but the picture I used in my first post is the packing contents of someones else's elite 430 so therefor they received the same 2 standoffs. Also the elite 430 contents list has the 7 standoffs and the 2 different standoffs listed separately leading me to believe they are in there for a reason. I do have a bench grinder but I want to make sure that I dont make a critical mistake here.

DUH! of course. My error.
Looking at the case, there seem to be some different levels.
Are two of the abc holes a bit recessed? If so, you would need longer standoffs there.

intenseblue98rt

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

No, there are no recessed holes of any kind.

Here is the response I got from cooler master just now. I guess this explains it but im still not sure which holes these go into first... Maybe im just a noob lol

Quote Cooler Master Tech Support.
Yes the slightly taller ones are guide standoffs, you install those first and help you line up every hole on the motherboard itself

they pop up a bit within the motherboard standoff hole.

Learned something new today. That is a great idea.

I would put one of the guide standoffs in the A spot near the back plate cover. Put the other in the G spot . You sometimes need to be able to push the motherboard into the back plate cover. The guide standoffs will hold the motherboard in place while you screw in the mounting screws.

I find it useful to use a #2 phillips head magnetic tip screwdriver to hold the mounting screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.