New Gaming Rig

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 6:28:36 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: September-ish

BUDGET RANGE: I guess I'd not want to spend more than 1000 dollars.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games mostly, I also dabble in 3d renders so I welcome more cores.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg mostly because I'll be making a wishlist and passing it on to others who might buy me some of it : )

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've always gone with AMD cpus and Nvidia video cards and would like to continue unless it turns out cheaper to switch.

OVERCLOCKING: Not too interested in it.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I figure I'll go with one gtx460 now then later down the line can pick up a second.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 with my trusty CRT.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have built computers before but it's been about 6 years since my last build so I'm pretty clueless on whats hot whats not these days. I've been reading a lot of articles on here and have picked out a cpu/mobo/vid card that sound nice but am not opposed to change. I'm lost on ram, hard drive, dvd, and case.

So far:
ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636

EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130566

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103809

Would greatly appreciate any help, thanks!

More about : gaming rig

August 14, 2010 6:50:33 PM

What do you wish to accomplish by a "future proof build"?

Not much you can buy today will still be good in another 6 years.
m
l
August 14, 2010 7:00:02 PM

geofelt said:
What do you wish to accomplish by a "future proof build"?

Not much you can buy today will still be good in another 6 years.

Yeah I kind of questioned myself on the title after hitting submit. I guess I just want to be good for the next couple of years when games like Rage, and Battlefield 3 come out.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2010 7:11:10 PM

vikungfu said:
Yeah I kind of questioned myself on the title after hitting submit. I guess I just want to be good for the next couple of years when games like Rage, and Battlefield 3 come out.

Today, any good dual core @3.0 or better can drive a graphics card sufficiently well to play most games.

A GTX460 is good enough to play most games well at 1600 x 1200.

Unless you have the funds to buy one, do not try a LCD monitor.

Some time back I had a IBM 21" super monitor. I bought a companion extra lcd monitor, and the difference was so apparent that I could no longer use the crt.
I had to dump it in favor of a second LCD.
That is where your "future proofing " is.

m
l
August 14, 2010 10:30:41 PM

a 460 will spank anything at 1600x1200. If I didn't have a Crossfire board, id have sold my 5750 and bought a 460
I have that cpu, I like it. I dont OC, runs nice and cool compared to the BE.
Memory wise, anything goes. I like Corsair and Mushkin. G skill seems popular. 4 gigs is pretty standard. Buy in multiples of 2 sticks so you can use the dual channels.
On the cases, Pick your price range, and then look at the best rated
Get a psu at least bronze certified. I have no idea what the requirements are for sli.
dvd drives, best rated on newegg
HDD, however much space you want. Some like SSD's. They are cool, but the extra 5 to 10 seconds shaved off boot time isnt worth it to me.

m
l
August 15, 2010 7:59:29 AM

Either get the GTX 460 or go wait a while for the 6000 series from ATI
m
l
!