Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Quick Question from a newbie!

Last response: in Components
October 27, 2010 3:37:52 AM

I am looking to upgrade my video card atm.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=&...

The problem is I don't know what size video card to buy(in spatial terms) and what PSU to go with it.
I have a GeForce 9800gt(Eco-friendly version) in it right now and it took me 2 hours just to fit it in the case!!
So my question is whats the best video card I can get right now that will fit inside my Mid-ATX tower and what PSU is good with it.

-Thanks in advance

More about : quick question newbie

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 6:05:37 AM

from a quick glance you should be able to fit a GTX460 in there. that card will be more than twice as powerful as what you have now.

Just make sure you get a heavier PSU. I would say at least 450 watts, 500 should be good. Anything more is just a waste. your 300w PSU just won't cut it.
Score
October 27, 2010 10:43:47 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
My goal: Upgrade PSU to 500w, then install a GTX460.
Thanks again :D 
Score
Related resources
October 28, 2010 3:03:33 AM

What about an ideal ATI card that your certain will fit? I really don't wanna buy a card online and wait a 2 weeks for it to get to my house only to find out it doesnt fit. Is there a really good card (ATI or nVidia) that will fit?
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 7:20:42 AM

hmm that is actually quite a small card.... really makes me contemplate whether a GTX460 will fit....

When I get home today I will have a look to see what I can find that should fit.

Can you upload a picture of the inside of your case for me so I can have a look? The link you gave me doesn't really have that...

hp :lol: 
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 8:31:11 AM

Without a proper budget its very difficult to nail down a proper GPU. Please mention that.
Score
October 28, 2010 8:50:44 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah, I know its a small card but my stupid tower is way too small!

I have a couple picture I took, they are pretty bad because of the small amount of room I have to take them in. I highlighted the card in red lines so it's easy to spot.
Again keep in mind these shots aren't that great.

:p 

As for the budget, just make sure the PSU is under $200,
And the video card is reasonable price like something under $400.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:36:55 PM

wow that is VERY cramped... I think if you get VERY creative you might just be able to fit a GTX460 in there, but its quite a gamble.

As for PSU, you'll have to move all those wires aside, and go for a modular PSU so you can remove any unused cables.

im just trying to think you might be better off just swapping the case for a cheap bigger case, and that would solve many problems. If it took you 2 hours to fit the 9800, then it'll take you 10 hours to fit a 460 and replace the PSU and rewire everything.

Your probably better off spending 40-60$ on a cheap case aswell, then you'll be able to fit any gfx and PSU that you want, assuming it does not get in the way with mobo or is too long for case.

let me know if your up for this and ill have a further look!

Cheerz! :) 
Score
October 28, 2010 9:50:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have to be honest, I barely know what I'm talking about here!
I know all the basic component stuff, but I think I would never finish swapping out everything in the case!

I would love to, and get the most out of my pc but i dont even know what any of those cables do! I would probably mess everything up :p 

I didn't even know I had the option for a new case. I thought I was stuck with this one because of the form factor or something! lol.

Anyway, I would definitely continue if you could just tell me of a way out of this situation with the switching of the case.

Do electronics stores do this kind of stuff? I'll just purchase all the parts and case and they do the manual labor?

-Thanks again for replying and taking the time to respond!
Cheerz back! :) 
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:54:53 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
wow that is VERY cramped... I think if you get VERY creative you might just be able to fit a GTX460 in there, but its quite a gamble.

It's not as cramped as the angles of the OP's photo's make it seem, shouldn't be a problem putting a 460 in it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe/...
Score
October 28, 2010 10:11:37 PM

delluser1 said:
It's not as cramped as the angles of the OP's photo's make it seem, shouldn't be a problem putting a 460 in it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe/...

Haha, trust me man, it's cramped as hell. I would even go as far to say the pictures make it seem as if there's more room!
The wires on top of the video card are what the problem is. I can barely move em!

EDIT: Yes, that is my PC, it's pretty good considering the price and features in my opinion.
8GB ram is what i like and the processor, along with the bluray player, i think is pretty good. The PSU is really weak though, and case is extremely small, not to mention only one pci-express slot -.- does that no no sli? :(  lol
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 9:34:36 AM

well what you can try is to buy the parts, and since your getting a new PSU then, which would be modular then you can put the wires exactly where you like them, and if you don't need em, you just dont put them in your case. The wires will also be longer than these, so you can move them around the back of the video card.

If you try really hard I think you should be able to fit a GTX460 in there, (make sure you get a model from PALIT, they are known to be the smallest)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

its $189.99 in the cart, and its a nice 1GB card. This is the smallest GTX460, so don't bother looking further, and you get a nice free coupon for HAWX 2! :D 

as for power supply I would go for this one:
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600.

I've worked in a computer store, and this PSU is quite amazing, especially how the wires are made, they are flat and not round, so they are ideal for moving around a cramped system.

Now others will say that 600 watts is way too much for this system, and i'd be lying if I said it wasn't, but for $69.99, you can't go wrong, and you have enough future expandability, not that I expect that though.

In terms of practicality what I would do is try and build this first into the case you have, and if it REALLY does not work out, go to a computer store nearby (not like best-buy, a store that sells loose parts and does servicing), buy a new case there (cheap or expensive depends on your taste), and if you want to let them build it.
Replacing the GFX and PSU in your current case is not very hard, just make sure you plug all the new PSU wires into the slots that need them. (also beware, video card needs two 6pin PCIe wires, dont forget these)

I hope that narrows it down for you!

total cost at newegg: $259.98

Cheerz!
NB
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 12:30:45 PM

arlight1 said:
Haha, trust me man, it's cramped as hell. I would even go as far to say the pictures make it seem as if there's more room!
The wires on top of the video card are what the problem is. I can barely move em!

EDIT: Yes, that is my PC, it's pretty good considering the price and features in my opinion.
8GB ram is what i like and the processor, along with the bluray player, i think is pretty good. The PSU is really weak though, and case is extremely small, not to mention only one pci-express slot -.- does that no no sli? :(  lol

The case layout is the same as the 170T, that comes from the factory with a GTX 260 installed, a smaller GTX 460 will fit without a problem and since you need a psu upgrade for it those wires that are bothering you shouldn't be a problem for long

Score
October 29, 2010 1:00:47 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
well what you can try is to buy the parts, and since your getting a new PSU then, which would be modular then you can put the wires exactly where you like them, and if you don't need em, you just dont put them in your case. The wires will also be longer than these, so you can move them around the back of the video card.

If you try really hard I think you should be able to fit a GTX460 in there, (make sure you get a model from PALIT, they are known to be the smallest)

its $189.99 in the cart, and its a nice 1GB card. This is the smallest GTX460, so don't bother looking further, and you get a nice free coupon for HAWX 2! :D 

as for power supply I would go for this one:
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600.

I've worked in a computer store, and this PSU is quite amazing, especially how the wires are made, they are flat and not round, so they are ideal for moving around a cramped system.

Now others will say that 600 watts is way too much for this system, and i'd be lying if I said it wasn't, but for $69.99, you can't go wrong, and you have enough future expandability, not that I expect that though.

In terms of practicality what I would do is try and build this first into the case you have, and if it REALLY does not work out, go to a computer store nearby (not like best-buy, a store that sells loose parts and does servicing), buy a new case there (cheap or expensive depends on your taste), and if you want to let them build it.
Replacing the GFX and PSU in your current case is not very hard, just make sure you plug all the new PSU wires into the slots that need them. (also beware, video card needs two 6pin PCIe wires, dont forget these)

I hope that narrows it down for you!

total cost at newegg: $259.98

Cheerz!
NB

Thanks for the reply :D 
189.99 for that w/ a Hawx2 coupon? Damn, that a great deal!
And the 600watts for 70bucks? wow.
But yeah, in the end I'll probably end up buying a new case completely and going to a store for service. You said you used to work there, did you do that kind of stuff(interchange parts)? If so, how much was the service?
Score
October 29, 2010 1:04:54 PM

delluser1 said:
The case layout is the same as the 170T, that comes from the factory with a GTX 260 installed, a smaller GTX 460 will fit without a problem and since you need a psu upgrade for it those wires that are bothering you shouldn't be a problem for long
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ibztww.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly my case :kaola: 

Just my biggest problem is those damn wires! When I was installing my 9800 i got so mad.At one point, I wanted to rip the wires out!
Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'm still unsure of buying a new case. If I were to buy one, which case would I get that fits my computer's specs?
-Thanks
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 1:29:32 PM

arlight1 said:
You said you used to work there, did you do that kind of stuff(interchange parts)? If so, how much was the service?
Haha, yeah i worked in another store over in the Netherlands. Live in the middle east right now! :lol:  . Rates depend on the store.

as for case, any normal case will do the job, just look for one that you think looks nice and isn't too expensive. You should be able to pick up a decent case for around 50-80 bucks.

Anyways the guys in some store should be able to help you with that. What I would do is buy the video card and PSU loose, try and see if that fits (this time we will let you rip out all those annoying wires, you will be replacing them with less annoying wires from your new PSU). If it doesn't fit, just take the parts to a computer store that does this kind of servicing, choose a case with them there for convenience, and let them build it if their rates aren't too absurd.

yeah the GTX460 had a nice pricedrop... unfortunately I bought mine a couple weeks before this.. :pfff: 
Score
October 29, 2010 7:38:20 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Haha, yeah i worked in another store over in the Netherlands. Live in the middle east right now! :lol:  . Rates depend on the store.

as for case, any normal case will do the job, just look for one that you think looks nice and isn't too expensive. You should be able to pick up a decent case for around 50-80 bucks.

Anyways the guys in some store should be able to help you with that. What I would do is buy the video card and PSU loose, try and see if that fits (this time we will let you rip out all those annoying wires, you will be replacing them with less annoying wires from your new PSU). If it doesn't fit, just take the parts to a computer store that does this kind of servicing, choose a case with them there for convenience, and let them build it if their rates aren't too absurd.

yeah the GTX460 had a nice pricedrop... unfortunately I bought mine a couple weeks before this.. :pfff: 

Yess! Finally! All the wires come loose! >:) 
Will do the plan you just suggested, thanks!
Haha, sorry to hear that. :lol: 
-Thanks to all for the help. Problem Solved! :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 8:24:51 PM

arlight1 said:
Yess! Finally! All the wires come loose! >:) 
Will do the plan you just suggested, thanks!
Haha, sorry to hear that. :lol: 
-Thanks to all for the help. Problem Solved! :) 
Always a pleasure to help!

best answer plz :D 

Cheerz
NB
Score
October 29, 2010 9:56:50 PM

Best answer selected by arlight1.
Score
!