Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hard drive Question

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 13, 2012 4:18:41 PM

Hello,
Here's the problem. The harddrive is ruined and no recovery disk. If I install a new hard drive can I buy windows 8 and install it, and will this work? Im not interested in data lost on old hard drive, I just want the laptop to work again.
Thanks Bob

More about : hard drive question

a b G Storage
November 13, 2012 4:29:02 PM

yes just make sure to get the 2.5 size and not the 3.5 size, also check what hard drive interface your laptop supports (ide or sata, sata most likely)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
November 13, 2012 4:29:10 PM

you need to find or download drivers for your laptop for Windows 8. Without them your laptop won't operate properly.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 96 G Storage
November 13, 2012 4:29:23 PM

Yes, assuming that the laptop is not defective otherwise, you could install a new HDD and install Windows 8.

What make/model of laptop are you using?
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 6:45:20 PM

Its an Acer, it has windows 7 OEM, it belongs to my daughter. I'm trying to save her from buying a new laptop.
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 6:49:23 PM

COLGeek said:
Yes, assuming that the laptop is not defective otherwise, you could install a new HDD and install Windows 8.

What make/model of laptop are you using?

Aren't the drivers already included in the windows 8 instalation disk ? I thought thats what an operating system included to make everything work. I don't want to get into something to complicated.
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 6:49:56 PM

You should probably check the Acer support site for drivers for her specific model before buying a new hard drive for that unit. IT would be a shame to purchase a hard drive, install windows 8, then find out that the sound card or network card isn't supported by Windows 8. You could probably get a cheap OEM version of Windows 7 to go back to, especially if she's in school/college.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 13, 2012 6:53:49 PM

No, the drivers aren't always included. Some companies submit their drivers to Microsoft for "certification testing." Some of those drivers make it in to the Windows install or on to Windows update. More often than not, you will need to find the drivers yourself. Most companies have a site for this. For Acer its support.acer.com

I would check their downloads section, make sure you have the model number from the bottom. You'll most likely need it when searching.
Share
November 13, 2012 7:00:40 PM

patrucker said:
You should probably check the Acer support site for drivers for her specific model before buying a new hard drive for that unit. IT would be a shame to purchase a hard drive, install windows 8, then find out that the sound card or network card isn't supported by Windows 8. You could probably get a cheap OEM version of Windows 7 to go back to, especially if she's in school/college.


I thought the Hard Drive was basically just a storage depot and the drivers were part of the operating system.
In my way of thinking, if I went out and bought windows 9 and installed over the top of windows 7, wouldn't it use the existing drivers from windows 7? I'm a little unsure of this.
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 7:07:52 PM

Best answer selected by brokerer.
m
0
l
a c 96 G Storage
November 13, 2012 7:35:45 PM

Just keep in mind that there is no imperative reason to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 at this time (nor likely in the near future). Win 7 will be with us for a very long time.
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 8:35:13 PM

COLGeek said:
Just keep in mind that there is no imperative reason to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 at this time (nor likely in the near future). Win 7 will be with us for a very long time.


I have simple question for you. My daughter doesn't have a restore disk. With that said here's my question. What are the correct steps for installing the New Hard Drive, is the the correct steps.
1- Repalce the Hard Drive
2- Install Windows 7 or 8 ?
3- Install all the Drivers for that Model Computer ?
4-Do I get all the Drivers and download them now before starting,
or wil I be able to use her laptop to download after installing Operating System.

I would appreciate the steps for doing the replacement of her Hard Drive

Thanks in Advance
brokerer

m
0
l
!