Sign in with
Your question

I don't get how I'm supposed to hook up SLI. Help please.

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 7:37:21 PM

The other day, I bought and built my first PC. I bought two EVGA GTX 460 768MB graphics cards, with the intention of running them in SLI. My motherboard is SLI-ready, it has two PCI-E x16 slots. The problem is with the power supply. On the back, there are five 6-pin connectors, three black and two red. The 460s had two 6-pin connectors on them. It's my understanding that the graphics cards only take the red ones. How do I hook them both up? I haven't got any connectors left on the power supply. Does the second graphics card not need power or do I need to buy some split cables? I can get pictures to illustrate what I've just said if it's unclear.
Ta.

More about : supposed hook sli

August 14, 2010 8:08:24 PM

TheCheesy4 said:
The other day, I bought and built my first PC. I bought two EVGA GTX 460 768MB graphics cards, with the intention of running them in SLI. My motherboard is SLI-ready, it has two PCI-E x16 slots. The problem is with the power supply. On the back, there are five 6-pin connectors, three black and two red. The 460s had two 6-pin connectors on them. It's my understanding that the graphics cards only take the red ones. How do I hook them both up? I haven't got any connectors left on the power supply. Does the second graphics card not need power or do I need to buy some split cables? I can get pictures to illustrate what I've just said if it's unclear.
Ta.

We need a bit more information, so to help us helping you, please list all of your system, at the very least, your motherboard and PSU name and model number.
Related resources
August 14, 2010 8:43:33 PM

lothdk said:
We need a bit more information, so to help us helping you, please list all of your system, at the very least, your motherboard and PSU name and model number.

The PSU is an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W, and the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58A. H

That's the 6-pin connector I'm talking about, ignore the picture on the right, they have the same thing on both ends, no molexes. Two of these need to go in each graphics card, each connected to a red connector on the power supply. Is there a way to upload files here from my computer, or does it has to be a URL?

August 15, 2010 9:23:10 AM

To link to pictures you will have to upload those to a site like imageshack or similar.

As to your problem with 6 pin power connectors, there really is none, as your PSU have all the necessary connectors.

According to the specs it should have 2 x 6-Pin and 2 x 6+2-Pin, so simply use those to power the cards and you are good to go. :wahoo: 

Happy gaming :D 

Quick edit: rereading your first post, yes both cards needs to have power connected to run.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2010 9:26:34 AM

yeah, the 6+8 pin simply connect the 6pin parts, and leave the 2 pins hanging.

you have all the cables you need. if you didn't, you have actually linked a picture of the adapter you would need.
August 15, 2010 2:48:04 PM

but lothdk, I think hes saying he only has 3 PCI-E connectors, the other ones are motherboard connectors
August 15, 2010 6:39:56 PM

Mr Pizza said:
but lothdk, I think hes saying he only has 3 PCI-E connectors, the other ones are motherboard connectors

Except, according to Antec it has all the necessary connections, 2 x 6 pin and 2 x 6+2 pin power connectors, so he is covered.
August 15, 2010 7:18:24 PM

lothdk said:
To link to pictures you will have to upload those to a site like imageshack or similar.

As to your problem with 6 pin power connectors, there really is none, as your PSU have all the necessary connectors.

According to the specs it should have 2 x 6-Pin and 2 x 6+2-Pin, so simply use those to power the cards and you are good to go. :wahoo: 

Happy gaming :D 

Quick edit: rereading your first post, yes both cards needs to have power connected to run.

Ah, I always wondered why people linked to Photobucket and the like in forums.

Anyway, with my PSU were two red cables with these at each end. There were three more cables which had this on one end, were black, but one ended in a molex connector, which is now connected to the case fans, and the other two ended in S-ATA, which are connected to the hard drive and disk drive.

On both graphics cards, there are two holes for the 6-pin connectors.

On the back of my PSU, there are five holes. The two red ones, closest the camera, are going to the single graphics card I have in there now. I am under the impression only the red ones can go to graphics cards. The other three (the furthest one is hard to see) are connected to a fan, the disk drive and the hard drive respectively.

It's my understanding that what I would need to add on a second graphics card is come sort of cable that has a red 6-pin connector at one end, and splits into two, with each ending in another 6-pin connector. If it makes a difference, the black ends which are plugged in the graphics card are labelled with PCI-E on the bottom.

Thanks for the help.
August 15, 2010 8:37:32 PM

Sorry, but for some reason those links do not work for me, so can not comment much on those.

I have now read up a bit more on that power supply, and yes, there are only the 2 6 pin power connectors that you can attatch to the power supply, however, as I stated earlier, there are already 2 6+2 pin power connectors, these are hard mounted to the power supply.
So simply find the cables with connectors named PCI-E8 (they have 6 pins and a seperate set of 2 pins, for a combined set of 8 pins) and use these for the cards as well, and you are set. :) 
August 15, 2010 11:11:17 PM

lothdk said:
Sorry, but for some reason those links do not work for me, so can not comment much on those.

I have now read up a bit more on that power supply, and yes, there are only the 2 6 pin power connectors that you can attatch to the power supply, however, as I stated earlier, there are already 2 6+2 pin power connectors, these are hard mounted to the power supply.
So simply find the cables with connectors named PCI-E8 (they have 6 pins and a seperate set of 2 pins, for a combined set of 8 pins) and use these for the cards as well, and you are set. :) 

Oooooh. I feel dumb now. I assumed the PCI-E8 thing meant they would only work with things in the PCI-E x8 slots. My bad. Thanks for the help.
August 17, 2010 7:23:16 AM

You are welcome. :) 

Hope you have it all set up now, and everything running in a satisfactory fashion.

August 17, 2010 8:54:31 AM

lothdk said:
You are welcome. :) 

Hope you have it all set up now, and everything running in a satisfactory fashion.

Indeed I do :D 
!