Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Xonar & AuzenTech

Last response: in Components
October 27, 2010 5:15:28 AM

Hey,

Most of the time, I am listening to music and watching movies. So I would say 40% music 40% movies 20% gaming. I am basically a complete newbie when it comes to audio, my friend recently got me into this, then I started to hear the difference between poor quality speakers/headphones and good ones.

I am contemplating to buy a sound card, just read a lot of articles and reviews on ASUS Xonar and AuzenTech. I am using Edifier S550 5.1 Speakers, and so I have in mind are

AuzenTech Forte
ASUS Xonar DX/D2X
ASUS Xonar ST/STX

ASUS Xonar DX price is very tempting around 60$ for me, Auzentech Forte's around 150$, and the rest are 200$, I can't seem to find AuzenTech Prelude in Canada. I am leaning towards DX or Forte. D2X is $100 more and I don't see much difference, since I don't need its features. ST/STX are expensive unless someone can convince me.

Thanks in advance,

More about : asus xonar auzentech

October 27, 2010 5:50:13 AM

I am using an X-FI titanium from creative, and loving it a lot. It seems like creative finally solved their driver problems.

I was actually going to go for the ASUS 60$ card, but I managed to get the titanium cheaper second hand, so I went for that instead.

for basic home use, like you describe, the ASUS Xonar DX should be more than plenty, and I would not look any further.

If your speakers support digital input I would use it. I would imagine they do since they ar a nice high end set, but from a quick google I get the sense that a lot of people want those speakers with digital... that there is no digital input (coaxial or optical)
October 27, 2010 6:31:24 AM

Yeah, they lack digital input ;( I would go for home theater set up if I had more knowledge or passionate enough for it. Do you have fatality or regular version? They're around $90 area. I heard they're ok, used to have a lot of bad driver problems especially with Windows Vista/7. I used to own Creative Sound Blaster with X-530, they were great back then. I know a few people who has Auzentech Prelude pretty happy with it, can't find it in Canada though. Also told me to stay away from creative, lol.

I used to own a pair of 5$ speakers when I was a kid, then bought Logitech X-530 when I had a part time job. They were fantastic up until I started learning more about speakers. I was tempted to get Z-5500 when they were on sale, but they were way too boomy, no clarity, ok for gamers I guess but I am very happy with my speakers. Now I just need a decent sound card not the best, because I don't think I am an audiophile yet.

So far, my options still are between ASUS Xonar DX and Auzentech Forte (for headphone amp), maybe creative if the price is right. ST/STX are out of the question now, not worth it for me. As for Xonar D2X, I just don't think the extra $100 is worth it. There is also Auzentech Bravura, but I read that is a step down from Forte, around the same price too.
Related resources
October 27, 2010 7:45:09 AM

im using the standard PCI-express OEM titanium, the cheap one. I didn't need all the shiny covers. in fact, aside from a pretty cover and a 5.25 inch bay, it is exactly the same card.

I would reccomend it since you get all of creative's nice sound effects (EAX, CMMS3D, Crystalizer etc).

Otherwise spare yourself $30 and go for the ASUS DX.

Honestly little point going to anything beyond that.

I love my speakers, built them a couple years ago with my dad, produce the most amazing sound... also 800 watts a piece! :p 

ill find a link if you want a pic!
October 27, 2010 8:08:34 AM

Ha, you're right. Fatality is a joke, just a shiny cover with the same card and I think I can get retail titanium for $80. I am not going to buy it yet busy with work/university final year, probably in a few weeks or so. Enough time to think it over and hope for them to go on sale, DX or Titanium hmmmm.. Any other inputs or reviews are still welcomed!

I actually have some hi-fi speakers from my dad, but I haven't touched them since we moved. Looks like a nice set though, maybe one day I'll hook them up and learn more about home theatre setups.

If it isn't a problem sure, I would love to see some home made 800 watt speakers! Thanks for fast reply by the way, back to studying though, fun... 4 a.m..
October 27, 2010 8:56:36 AM

marshmallow905 said:
Ha, you're right. Fatality is a joke, just a shiny cover with the same card and I think I can get retail titanium for $80. I am not going to buy it yet busy with work/university final year, probably in a few weeks or so. Enough time to think it over and hope for them to go on sale, DX or Titanium hmmmm.. Any other inputs or reviews are still welcomed!

I actually have some hi-fi speakers from my dad, but I haven't touched them since we moved. Looks like a nice set though, maybe one day I'll hook them up and learn more about home theatre setups.

If it isn't a problem sure, I would love to see some home made 800 watt speakers! Thanks for fast reply by the way, back to studying though, fun... 4 a.m..
I love them :bounce:  .

Anyways I take IB so also frequently have 4AM days.... have had a couple of all nighters the last few weeks without any sleep.
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2010 12:06:52 PM

Well, I agree the D2/D2X is at a HORRIBLE price. Heck, the Prelude has the same exact problem. For most people, barring the absolute need for DTS encoding OR the extra connections the D2 has, the DX will suffice. Can't really argue against hte Forte though...

Between the Titanium and DX the DX is simply the better card, although this is one of the few matchups Creative wins in the feature department (mostly due to DTS encodng support).
October 27, 2010 12:28:31 PM

gamerk316 said:
Well, I agree the D2/D2X is at a HORRIBLE price. Heck, the Prelude has the same exact problem. For most people, barring the absolute need for DTS encoding OR the extra connections the D2 has, the DX will suffice. Can't really argue against hte Forte though...

Between the Titanium and DX the DX is simply the better card, although this is one of the few matchups Creative wins in the feature department (mostly due to DTS encodng support).
DTS Connect: Permanently in use here! love it with optical! :love: 
October 27, 2010 6:27:49 PM

I would definitely go for D2X in a heart beat if it was a little cheaper, too bad though. I read that X-Fi sound cards including Forte usually dies after 1 year exactly after warranty expires, don't know if this is just a bad patch that passed QA or huge conspiracy some people have been talking about, but I am leaning towards people stacking their card right on top of their video card causing overheating problems without knowing eventually damaging it over time. My buddy got a Prelude for 70$ been using it for around 2-3 years, still rocking. I can't seem to find it anywhere and even used it's hard to find sellers.

Nice speakers by the way, but I imagined they would be a bit taller. What kind of wood did you use, I am guessing cedar?

Best solution

October 27, 2010 7:08:38 PM

no it's MDF wood. Cheap stuff, and known to be the best for speakers because it dampends a lot of sound inside so you dont get any acoustic screwups because of the wood. inside it is lined with glass-fibers so there is no internal echoing. The shape's purpose is also in order to create the best BASS ever.... and trust me, it is!

Anyways the whole thing about x-fi cards stacked on top of video cards and dying seems like aload of bull to me. yeah my card is right above my video card, but it doesnt get warm since I've got a 120mm fam blowing straight onto the video card and sound card from the front.. not to mention highest temp i've seen with my card is about 65C, which isn't particularly high either. Most of the heat is on the chip side of the card anyways, and if you have even a hint of airflow in that area it really should not be a problem.

I've worked in a computer store, we sold these cards quite a bit, and had a lot of customers come in with rigs with these cards, and never had any problems with overheating or dying because of age cards.

anyways for you I would just go for a 60$ or max $100 card, like the titanium, anything more than that is really quite a waste, not to mention, you get marginal improvements at anything beyond the titanium, for a bucketload more money.

Not to mention, your speakers are awesome, but your still using analogue, so yeah..... id just get a titanium and be done with.

oh yeah, one word of advice about the titanium: my DDL or DTS connect did not work at first, tried everything, could not get to work. make sure you install on fresh install of windows if you have any problems, did the trick for me.
October 27, 2010 7:50:45 PM

lol, yeah I read that stuff didn`t believe it either, probably just a bad batch. they had crazy theories going on had a good laugh tho

yeah i`ll probably get a titanium to be honest, unless something goes on sale. and something like xonar stx etc other +$200 cards are for audiophiles headphones anyway. plus im using analogue on a pc, with a pair of decent cans too, can`t really push it.

thanks for everything
October 27, 2010 7:51:04 PM

Best answer selected by marshmallow905.
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 28, 2010 3:00:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!