Solved

Removable disk drive k: is corrupted unreadable

Hi,
I removed my Samsung 500G storage device forcibly as Safely Remove Hardware was showing that it was in use and could not be removed at present.

When I re-inserted the USB the drive letter had changed to I: from K:. My drive K: was filled with music and movies. But now it does not show in My Computer.
Drive I: shows capacity 0 Kb.

In the Device Manager it shows as Samsung Storage device and says it is working and the capacity is about 465MB.

I re-started my laptop with the storage drive attached, but it still shows up as Drive I:

I tried the following: Changed the Drive letter I: back to K: - no luck.
Tried to use chkdsk on Drive I: - No luck.

Tried the Samsung on the PC, but got only Drive J:, Tried to open it but got a message that Drive or folder was corrupted and unreadable.

Tried various forums in google without any luck. Can not use any file recovery device as can not detect the Drive K:

Have I lost all my data in the External drive?? Can anyone help?

My Laptop OS is Win XP S3.

I can follow easy instructions spelled out step by step. due to time difference may not be available most of the time for immediate response as am also working.

Thanks and regards
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about removable disk drive corrupted unreadable
  1. When you see the "Safely Remove Hardware was showing that it was in use and could not be removed at present." it usually means there is a program using it. If something was being written to the drive it might have caused data corruption. You could also try using Linux (booting from a flash drive or cd) & see if that will detect your information. If you go to disk management from administrative tools (you can search this in the start menu) & see if it needs to be initialized. What did it tell you when you tried using chkdsk?
  2. MidnightDistort said:
    When you see the "Safely Remove Hardware was showing that it was in use and could not be removed at present." it usually means there is a program using it. If something was being written to the drive it might have caused data corruption. You could also try using Linux (booting from a flash drive or cd) & see if that will detect your information. If you go to disk management from administrative tools (you can search this in the start menu) & see if it needs to be initialized. What did it tell you when you tried using chkdsk?

Tks for your help. Chkdisk did not run as K: does not show on "My computer" and I: shows capacity zero.
    SAMSUNG is visible in Device Manager Disk Drives as SAMSUNG USB device.
    Don't have bootable CD or flash drive.
    Will apreciate any other ideas.
  3. Best answer
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    on it are
    Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28
    Samsung ESTOOL 3.01v
    Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.10

p.s. It doesn't matter what drive letter it got assigned.
  4. rgd1101 said:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    on it are
    Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28
    Samsung ESTOOL 3.01v
    Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.10

p.s. It doesn't matter what drive letter it got assigned.

Downloaded the Samsung Disk Diagnostic utilities but for some reason they dont work.
  5. downloaded and ran a few recovery programs. Looks like the disk is corrupted. As have received no further advice will format the disk and see if can at least re-use the disk for future storage. Thanks guys.
    This thread is now closed.
  6. Best answer selected by hansa65.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Removable Disk Devices Samsung