Sign in with
Your question

Bought a new graphics card and having some trouble :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2010 7:56:14 PM

Hello,

I'm in the process of slowly but surely building my own PC, I have a old HP Pavilion a1319h Desktop PC that i am using now, and wanted to start out with a new graphics card first. I thought i could get one that was compatible with this PC, and when i get more parts for my new one i could just transfer it over, I found a good deal at micro-center for a GeForce GT 220 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... when i put it in my PC of course my luck it wouldn't go past the splash screen that has the boot menu, f-1 for setup etc. It just freezes and the keyboard becomes non responsive. I used the device manager beforehand to uninstall the previous drivers, so my question is should i take it back and get something less keeping in mind it will be transferred to a new rig? Is it the psu that would cause it to freeze so if I get a new one it would boot? If i take the card out it boots up fine. I just want to play WoW and surf the web. Thank you for any help anyone can provide. Have a good afternoon! :hello: 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today
BUDGET RANGE: trying to stay under $100 dollars if at all possible.
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [WoW and Borderlands, Surfing the web.
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: (300W Bestec PSU that came with the HP used the on-board video on mobo.
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Processor - Pentium4 517 (P) HT 2.93 GHz 533 MHz front side bus Socket 775
Chipset- ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors
Mobo- RC410-M - HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope-GL8E
Mem- 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Slots- 3 Pci (2 available) 1 PCI-E x16,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Anywhere reputable. USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: None
OVERCLOCKING: no

a c 1401 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 8:36:50 PM

HD4670 would be a good replacement (is more powerful and should run on your PSU). But you might be experiencing driver conflict download and use Driver Sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ to get rid of ATI GPU driver remains.
m
l
July 9, 2010 9:50:33 PM

Thanks I'll give that a shot!
m
l
July 3, 2014 10:31:51 PM

I would also look at something higher than 300w PSU. That is really hard on a computer when playing games with high demands for power. I have ruined more than one graphics card and psu from buying too low a watt PSU for gaming.
m
l
!