Hey guys should i upgrade to an i5?My current cpu is q8400 and suits my needs very well for now.Is it worth the extra money to upgrade now or should I wait?
Here are my Specs btw
Core 2 quad Q8400 @ 2.66 ghz
4 gig ram
9800gt (broken) gonna upgrade soon to a 460gtx
17 inch Lcd at (1280x1024 native res)
Corsair 550vx 550w
I game at 12x10 native res and play games like metro and crysis and etc.And i Get roughly 20-30 fps with my current rig.So is worth the extra cash to buy a new mobo and upgrade to a i5? or should i wait a couple more a years?
Well that is a hard call really. I recently upgraded a Core 2 Quad to an i5 and have no regrets. I upgraded and sold on the Core 2 Quad while it was still worth a bit of money. It may help to take the future sale price into consideration.
What was your Core 2 Quad?Unfortunately for me I can't the sell the Core 2 Quad,so if i upgrade to an i5 the Core 2 quad will just end up in the garbage So it is worth it to waste the money i used to buy the core 2 quad and buy a new i5(ior possibly i7)
DO wait until Sandy Bridge hits if you plan to swap platforms altogether.
You SHOULD be able to hit 2.8-3Ghz with a good cooler on that board. So I recommend getting a Hyper 212+ and OCing the CPU. Even if you can't get a very high OC on that board, you will be able to re-use the Hyper 212+ with LGA1156 and most likely CM will provide brackets for the LGA2011/1155.