Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2012 5:01:35 PM

I have a Sony Vaio touchscreen computer. Sometimes the system crashes then does an automatic check disk then OS comes back up. This does it alot even after reloading Vista a few times. Besides software, what can I use to test the hard drive to see if its going bad?

Thanks
carolyn

More about : hard drive

a c 317 G Storage
November 13, 2012 6:02:21 PM

Run crystaldiskinfo ( http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-... ). Unless it tends to happen mainly after the computer is on a long time (heat issue), it sounds more like an OS or driver issue, did it start after you loaded a program or windows update or has it been going on for a long time?
m
l
November 13, 2012 6:16:37 PM

I just did a diagnotic check and it came up with error PCMCIA-003. I looked in Device manager to see if there were missing drivers and I don't see any. Could this be the problem?
m
l
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
November 13, 2012 7:06:51 PM

More likely a corrupt or incompatible driver than a missing driver to cause such a problem. Do you have and PC Cards (PCMCIA devices) installed?
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:26:06 PM

Im not sure whats in the touchscreen yet...now I have just a black screen...OY. That happened when I rebooted after I did a dx on it.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 13, 2012 9:17:46 PM

Use your repair disk or system install disk to boot up and then consider doing a repair install, which will fix the issues and save data/programs but require you to reinstall all windows updates.

Your system sounds quite unstable so backup all your data as soon as possible.
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:46:52 AM

All I have is the recovery disk so hope that helps.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 14, 2012 11:11:58 AM

Its not the hard drive. Things go bad after some time.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 14, 2012 12:29:46 PM

csnorman said:
All I have is the recovery disk so hope that helps.
It should let you do a repair installation if you still have the recovery partition on your HDD that works with the recovery disk. Just restart with the recovery disk in your drive and select to boot from that disk.
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:54:17 PM

ok will give it a try, thanks for your input everyone
m
l
!