5850 not displaying

snypes

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I just bought a new 5850 from newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102881) a few days ago along with a new 24'' samsung monitor. I was previously running a 9800gtx+ fine with this monitor, but right when i put the 5850 in nothing displays on my monitor and after about 10 seconds i hear the fan get really loud. So I wanted to see if my 9800gtx+ worked... so i put it in and it worked fine. I should mention that im not using the 6 pin extenders seeing as my PSU already has 2 of these. Could this be the problem? Could the problem be maybe preinstalling 5850 drivers?

specs:
q6600 (4 x 2.4ghz)
600w rosewill PSU
sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB
24'' samsung 2ms LCD monitor
EP4CUD3R Gigabyte mobo
4gb ddr2 ram
500gb HDD

snypes

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I play tf2 mainly. what would the best driver be for that? thanks for answering all of my questions.. im fairly 'stupid' when it comes to computer smarts. thanks again

Eliminates screen tearing, matches your monitors refresh rate and in some causes can cause input lag depending on game and/or system (this can easily be fixed by enabling "triple buffering"). For example I always play my games with v-sync/triple buffering enabled because the whole point of playing on a PC is to get the best image quality possible as opposed to a distorted image that can cause confusion in high-intense scenes where there is a lot going on. Check for yourself, disable v-sync in CCC (change to "performance") and in the in-game menu turn v-sync "OFF", play for a few minutes then exit out of the game and change it to "quality" and don't forget to scroll down and enable "triple buffering", then once you get to the in-game menu turn it back "ON" and you should notice a big difference in visuals :)

snypes

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
ok ovrclkr, i did that but it made my mouse like not respond fast enough or something. so i went to turn the settings back and it said my hardware level was Direct X 8.0... when its supposed to be DX11

snypes

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
okay guys so i log on today and i see that windows left me a reminder so i clicked on it and it said that my ati driver has crashed 18 times. ive never had this happen before. Im running 10.6, what can i do to fix this?