What will fit

beak5

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
i have a hp g72-c55dx i would like to upgrade the system i need to know if there is a motherboard out there that will fit into a hp g72 case and a board that will take a i3 cpu i know i will have to buy new ram but still it would be much cheaper to upgrade instead of buying a new i3 system if i could just find the right board

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
When I google "hp g72-c55dx" it tells me that this is a laptop. That is not good news.

It is almost impossible to find another motherboard that will fit into a laptop. Motherboard mounts are pretty much standard in most desktop machines (there are exceptions), but laptops are custom designs. Sometimes a manufacturer will use one chassis for a series of laptops, but they don't sell the motherboards separately - you want a motherboard, you buy a laptop. There's a tiny chance that you might be able to buy a second-hand laptop with, say, a broken screen, that contains a motherboard you can lift out and put into your machine. It's a very tiny chance, and I don't think you should dwell on it.

Generally speaking, about the only things you can change in a laptop are:

- the RAM
- the hard drive (you can often install an SSD which can speed up some operations)
- possibly a mini-PCI card, if the laptop uses one.
- possibly the optical drive (or things that plug into that bay)
- things that plug into the outside of the laptop

You will probably have to buy a faster laptop.