SP install slows computer

I followed directions from MS site re cleaning up, insuring there are no
viruses & maximizing performance before installing SP2. But once I did,
things slowed dramatically.

Boot up was fine until I hit the log on screen. The desktop appeared fine,
but it took: 4:00 (four minutes) for the
task bar to appear, another 2:00 for desktop icons to appear, another
2:00 for them to finish, another 2:00 for icons in the task bar to appear
and another 2:00 for the MS Office shortcut bar to appear, for a total of
more than 12 minutes to boot up.

After hitting the start button, it took about 1:30 for it to open and at
least that long after hitting Programs for the program list to populate.
Everything in the task bar and start menu was very slow.

All the application, once I can get to them, work normally and usually
browsing is fine, although sometimes when I log off, I get a message saying
iexplore.exe and explore.exe are not responding.

Any suggestions

Bob

Robert, check this very good site concerning SP2 Problems
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Read_this_first

"Robert Griendling" <rjgr@cox.net> wrote in message
>I followed directions from MS site re cleaning up, insuring there are no
>viruses & maximizing performance before installing SP2. But once I did,
>things slowed dramatically.
>
> Boot up was fine until I hit the log on screen. The desktop appeared fine,
> but it took: 4:00 (four minutes) for the
> task bar to appear, another 2:00 for desktop icons to appear, another
> 2:00 for them to finish, another 2:00 for icons in the task bar to appear
> and another 2:00 for the MS Office shortcut bar to appear, for a total of
> more than 12 minutes to boot up.
>
> After hitting the start button, it took about 1:30 for it to open and at
> least that long after hitting Programs for the program list to populate.
> Everything in the task bar and start menu was very slow.
>
> All the application, once I can get to them, work normally and usually
> browsing is fine, although sometimes when I log off, I get a message
> saying
> iexplore.exe and explore.exe are not responding.
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Bob

Thanks, Rich. It was painful and slow process but I finally found what was
hanging SP2: A service called Shell Hardware Protection. With that
disabled, most everything seems fine (though OE Express took nearly 2
minutes to boot to get on this newsgroup.) What is Shell Hardware
Protection?

I enabled MOST of the start-up items. A few that I didn't because I
couldn't find them (even with hidden files showing) or knew they were for
old programs. A number I couldn't find include:
C:\windows\system 32\zzb.exe
C:\windows\mscvb32.exe
C:\windows\astnoxfv.exe
C:\Program files\BearShare\BearShare.exe

Do you know what these files are for?

Also, I disabled something call View Manager. It's obviously a media player
of some sort but found it mentioned on a couple of chat sessions about
spyware. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks.

Bob Griendling (via Karla's computer)

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Robert, check this very good site concerning SP2 Problems
> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Read_this_first
>
> "Robert Griendling" <rjgr@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I followed directions from MS site re cleaning up, insuring there are no
>>viruses & maximizing performance before installing SP2. But once I did,
>>things slowed dramatically.
>>
>> Boot up was fine until I hit the log on screen. The desktop appeared
>> fine, but it took: 4:00 (four minutes) for the
>> task bar to appear, another 2:00 for desktop icons to appear, another
>> 2:00 for them to finish, another 2:00 for icons in the task bar to appear
>> and another 2:00 for the MS Office shortcut bar to appear, for a total of
>> more than 12 minutes to boot up.
>>
>> After hitting the start button, it took about 1:30 for it to open and at
>> least that long after hitting Programs for the program list to populate.
>> Everything in the task bar and start menu was very slow.
>>
>> All the application, once I can get to them, work normally and usually
>> browsing is fine, although sometimes when I log off, I get a message
>> saying
>> iexplore.exe and explore.exe are not responding.
>>
>> Any suggestions
>>
>> Bob

Don't blame Shell Hardware Protection. Your computer is filled with spyware
(zzb.exe, astnoxfv.exe, BearShare and possibly more.)

Ted Zieglar

"Karla Leavelle" <karla@leavelle.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Rich. It was painful and slow process but I finally found what
> was hanging SP2: A service called Shell Hardware Protection. With that
> disabled, most everything seems fine (though OE Express took nearly 2
> minutes to boot to get on this newsgroup.) What is Shell Hardware
> Protection?
>
> I enabled MOST of the start-up items. A few that I didn't because I
> couldn't find them (even with hidden files showing) or knew they were for
> old programs. A number I couldn't find include:
> C:\windows\system 32\zzb.exe
> C:\windows\mscvb32.exe
> C:\windows\astnoxfv.exe
> C:\Program files\BearShare\BearShare.exe
>
> Do you know what these files are for?
>
> Also, I disabled something call View Manager. It's obviously a media
> player of some sort but found it mentioned on a couple of chat sessions
> about spyware. Do you know anything about it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Griendling (via Karla's computer)
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Robert, check this very good site concerning SP2 Problems
>> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Read_this_first
>>
>> "Robert Griendling" <rjgr@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I followed directions from MS site re cleaning up, insuring there are no
>>>viruses & maximizing performance before installing SP2. But once I did,
>>>things slowed dramatically.
>>>
>>> Boot up was fine until I hit the log on screen. The desktop appeared
>>> fine, but it took: 4:00 (four minutes) for the
>>> task bar to appear, another 2:00 for desktop icons to appear, another
>>> 2:00 for them to finish, another 2:00 for icons in the task bar to
>>> appear
>>> and another 2:00 for the MS Office shortcut bar to appear, for a total
>>> of
>>> more than 12 minutes to boot up.
>>>
>>> After hitting the start button, it took about 1:30 for it to open and at
>>> least that long after hitting Programs for the program list to populate.
>>> Everything in the task bar and start menu was very slow.
>>>
>>> All the application, once I can get to them, work normally and usually
>>> browsing is fine, although sometimes when I log off, I get a message
>>> saying
>>> iexplore.exe and explore.exe are not responding.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions
>>>
>>> Bob

Ted, the lines may be in the start up tab but I can't find the files, and I
now remember that I deleted the BearShare program a week ago. I've run
AdAware and it does not find these files. Couldn't the line still be in the
start up section but the program is gone?

And the fact is when I disable Shell hardware Protection, the computer seems
to work fine with SP2.