GTX 470 high idle temps with dual monitors

f_donald

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hello,

I replaced two older Nvidia cards with two GTX 470s (GV-N470UD-13I) on a Windows 7 64 bit non-SLI multi-monitor system with 275.21 drivers. The 470s do not clock down at idle when dual monitors are enabled. I am experiencing idle temps between 81-84°C with dual monitors and idle temps around 40°C on a single monitor. The cards shoot up to 90°C and above when encoding/processing in Premiere CS5 but I expected this under actual load.

Gigabyte phone support confirmed that this is a known problem and simply advised using a single monitor on each card and/or watching the product support page for updates. This was not helpful…

Why is the core clock not being reduced by card/driver power management with dual monitors when the system is at idle or while working in 2D applications?

Is it safe for the system to have two cards running at 80-85°C at idle and while working in 2D applications over a 10 16 hour day?

Any solutions for this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.

notty22

Distinguished
Can you run one monitor of each card ? Its a problem with this generation of cards using gddr5. Monitor flickering with dual monitors at lowered memory mhz. So they disable memory down clocking.
Its mentioned here
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1888&pageID=9220
To keep the screen from flickering on dual monitor Nvidia had to keep the memory speed high so Dual monitor idle runs hotter than single monitor idle. Which is why we wanted to test it. We got 74°C at an idle after 30 minutes
Dual_Mon_Raven.jpg

Try increasing air flow in your case. Mention model for people to comment. Raise fan speed on the cards.