AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI 890 GXM-GD65
ATI HD6870 1GB X 2 Crossfire
Samsung 24X DVD Writer
WDC 640GB HDD Caviar Black
WDC 1TB Caviar Green
Cooler Master Elite 430s cabinet
Corsair TX 750W

I already have the PSU and WDC 1TB Caviar Green HDD. I am not sure if this PSU is good enough to support 2 6870 in crossfire mode.
I bought this PSU keeping in mind that I would SLI 2 460 1GB. I wont be doing any overclocking.

Kindly advise if I should go ahead with ATI 6870 crossfire or fallback to get GTX 460 SLI if this PSU is not good enough.

Solution
Ideally, my advice will be to wait till the 69XX series launches and the pricing gets streamlined.. There may then be more cards with factory applied overclocks and custom cooling setups.. If however, you do not wish to wait then i recommend the HD 6870.. Simply because its the powerful of the two cards and is less noisy also.. IMO, the price difference is worth it.. Sapphire is a good brand (ATI exclusive) and there's no harm in selecting their products..
Just a reminder, your selected motherboard wont do SLI.. You'll need to go the Intel route for that.. Personnely, i'll recommend going for the SLI setup with the 460's.. Crossfire does not scales that good and you'll have more performance with the two GTX 460 1GB's along with other good (not highly necessary though) stuffs such as physx.. Btw, the PSU will handle either of that adequately.. You'll infact have enough headroom to try other endeavours such as overclocking your CPU..

vermakhil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

You are absolutely correct Emperus. This is not the SLI route. I started off with deciding for AMD with 5850, but then shifted my mind to SLI after launch of GTX 460. But going for SLI routes, components are more expensive than going for Crossfire. Now that 6870 have been launched, it is better to go with crossfire.

Also, all of these are directx 11 cards. Not many directx 11 games have released yet. On the basis of what have already released, their reviews with these cards and these cards performance have led me to take this way to become a bit future proof as well.

I would be doing crossfire or sli for the first time in my life. I am not going to change my new system for about 5-6 years. I may reduce the resolution I play on or compromise on AA or AF. Hence in order to become future proof with USB3, SATA 3 and graphics card I am going this way.

I just may opt for MSI 890 FX-GD70 as well instead of MSI 890 GXM-GD65 which is far better than the latter.

Hey Obsidian86, from where did you get this info for 10Watts for 6870. Kindly let me know the source.

Agreed.. I did not do a thorough read/research on the new ATI cards.. My apologies for that.. The new cards look plenty good in crossfire..

vermakhil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hey Guys, I finally got the following config ;

Kingston 2GB DDR3 X 2
AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI 890 FXA-GD70
WDC 1TB Caviar Green
Cooler Master Elite 430s cabinet
Corsair TX 750W

But I am not sure what should be the position of this PSU inside this cabinet..!! Should the fan face upwards and downwards....?????
The PSU is placed at the bottom of the cabinet.

vermakhil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
There seems to be some confusion. Kindly take a look at this pic.
http://img206.imageshack.us/i/dscf2732ll8.jpg/

My system is more or less looking like this. PSU can either blow air into the system as shown in the pic or out of the system from below the case if turned upside down. If I keep this PSU in the way it is kept in this pic, will it be ok>???

In this sort of an arrangement, the PSU fan is actually intaking air from outside the case (from under the case assuming there is provision for that in the case) and exhaling it from the rear.. Helps keep the inside PSU components cool..

Look again.

vermakhil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

I have the same model.. Corsair TX 750W. I believe it is an exhaling fan, not an intake one.. What say?