AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI 890 GXM-GD65
ATI HD6870 1GB X 2 Crossfire
Samsung 24X DVD Writer
WDC 640GB HDD Caviar Black
WDC 1TB Caviar Green
Cooler Master Elite 430s cabinet
Corsair TX 750W

I already have the PSU and WDC 1TB Caviar Green HDD. I am not sure if this PSU is good enough to support 2 6870 in crossfire mode.
I bought this PSU keeping in mind that I would SLI 2 460 1GB. I wont be doing any overclocking.

Kindly advise if I should go ahead with ATI 6870 crossfire or fallback to get GTX 460 SLI if this PSU is not good enough.

More about : corsair 750 crossfire 6870

a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 9:36:50 AM

That PSU would be fine. Plenty watts, plenty amps on the 12V, high quality unit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 9:43:53 AM

That would provide you plenty of room even with overclocking!
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 2:07:20 PM

Just a reminder, your selected motherboard wont do SLI.. You'll need to go the Intel route for that.. Personnely, i'll recommend going for the SLI setup with the 460's.. Crossfire does not scales that good and you'll have more performance with the two GTX 460 1GB's along with other good (not highly necessary though) stuffs such as physx.. Btw, the PSU will handle either of that adequately.. You'll infact have enough headroom to try other endeavours such as overclocking your CPU..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 6:31:25 PM

more then enough the 460 1gb model and 6870 have very similar power draws 10 watts difference in most cases
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:51:53 AM

Thanks Guys... Now the only question left for me is how to get this card in India at reasonable cost. huh.. This would be a toughie..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 9:53:30 AM

Which City?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 10:21:47 AM

Emperus said:
Crossfire does not scales that good

Have you not seen the reviews and benches? Crossfire scaling on the HD 6800s is fantastic.
m
l
October 28, 2010 11:14:03 AM

Emperus said:
Just a reminder, your selected motherboard wont do SLI.. You'll need to go the Intel route for that.. Personnely, i'll recommend going for the SLI setup with the 460's.. Crossfire does not scales that good and you'll have more performance with the two GTX 460 1GB's along with other good (not highly necessary though) stuffs such as physx.. Btw, the PSU will handle either of that adequately.. You'll infact have enough headroom to try other endeavours such as overclocking your CPU..

You are absolutely correct Emperus. This is not the SLI route. I started off with deciding for AMD with 5850, but then shifted my mind to SLI after launch of GTX 460. But going for SLI routes, components are more expensive than going for Crossfire. Now that 6870 have been launched, it is better to go with crossfire.

Also, all of these are directx 11 cards. Not many directx 11 games have released yet. On the basis of what have already released, their reviews with these cards and these cards performance have led me to take this way to become a bit future proof as well.

I would be doing crossfire or sli for the first time in my life. I am not going to change my new system for about 5-6 years. I may reduce the resolution I play on or compromise on AA or AF. Hence in order to become future proof with USB3, SATA 3 and graphics card I am going this way.

I just may opt for MSI 890 FX-GD70 as well instead of MSI 890 GXM-GD65 which is far better than the latter.

obsidian86 said:
more then enough the 460 1gb model and 6870 have very similar power draws 10 watts difference in most cases

Hey Obsidian86, from where did you get this info for 10Watts for 6870. Kindly let me know the source.
m
l
October 31, 2010 10:05:47 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Which City?

New Delhi, India.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 1, 2010 6:33:39 AM

You can try SMC International at Nehru Place. Nehru place has one of the cheapest shops around in India. But be careful when buying from there.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 1, 2010 9:01:09 AM

If you are OK with online shopping, then www.primeabgb.com is a good (Indian) site to shop at..
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 1, 2010 9:04:05 AM

LePhuronn said:
Have you not seen the reviews and benches? Crossfire scaling on the HD 6800s is fantastic.

Agreed.. I did not do a thorough read/research on the new ATI cards.. My apologies for that.. The new cards look plenty good in crossfire..
m
l
November 2, 2010 11:49:30 AM

Hey Guys, I finally got the following config ;

Kingston 2GB DDR3 X 2
AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI 890 FXA-GD70
WDC 1TB Caviar Green
Cooler Master Elite 430s cabinet
Corsair TX 750W

But I am not sure what should be the position of this PSU inside this cabinet..!! Should the fan face upwards and downwards....?????
The PSU is placed at the bottom of the cabinet.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 12:04:13 PM

Up supposed to be fan down most cases have a hole in the bottom
m
l
November 2, 2010 12:23:43 PM

Thats correct. It does have a fan at the bottom.. but then is the floor as well.. Where would the PSU heat go??
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 12:26:21 PM

vermakhil said:
Thats correct. It does have a fan at the bottom.. but then is the floor as well.. Where would the PSU heat go??

Out the back, as usual
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 12:45:07 PM

A psu fan sucks air out of a case almost blows it out the rear it doesn suck air into a case
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:09:40 PM

There seems to be some confusion. Kindly take a look at this pic.
http://img206.imageshack.us/i/dscf2732ll8.jpg/

My system is more or less looking like this. PSU can either blow air into the system as shown in the pic or out of the system from below the case if turned upside down. If I keep this PSU in the way it is kept in this pic, will it be ok>???
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 1:16:41 PM

vermakhil said:
There seems to be some confusion.

Yes, but it is on your part.
The fan on the psu is an intake, in other words it draws air into the psu no matter which way it's facing in the case.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 1:19:59 PM

In this sort of an arrangement, the PSU fan is actually intaking air from outside the case (from under the case assuming there is provision for that in the case) and exhaling it from the rear.. Helps keep the inside PSU components cool..
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 1:23:25 PM

Emperus said:
In this sort of an arrangement, the PSU fan is actually intaking air from outside the case (from under the case assuming there is provision for that in the case) and exhaling it from the rear.. Helps keep the inside PSU components cool..

Look again.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:40:24 PM

Emperus said:

I have the same model.. Corsair TX 750W. I believe it is an exhaling fan, not an intake one.. What say?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 1:56:54 PM

All ATX spec PSUs exhaust heat out of the grill on the back where the power lead plugs in.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:59:02 PM

So what do you say?.. I should go ahead with the arrangement as shownn..

Though this one is different. It blows out air from the adjacent edge and not from the place where the power plug in is..
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 2:17:15 PM

vermakhil said:
So what do you say?.. I should go ahead with the arrangement as shownn..Your choice , the case is vented for the psu to be mounted fan down

Though this one is different. It blows out air from the adjacent edge and not from the place where the power plug in is..That's blowback due to the plastic sheet used in CWT cooling designs, see the second photo in the link below

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 2:44:22 PM

To simplify comments made above:

ALL ATX power supplies take air IN from the fan at the bottom of the unit and send it OUT the back.

If the power supply is mounted at the bottom, it will draw air in from the floor and push it out the back - the air will never enter the case.

If the power supply is mounted at the top, it will draw air from around the CPU area and push it out the back - it acts as an extra exhaust.

Some people sometimes flip a bottom-mounted power supply upside-down so the fan is facing the graphics cards. In this case, the power supply is helping draw hot air away from the graphics cards and push it out of the case. However with the amount of heat generated by modern cards I really don't suggest this as it's just running hot air over the power supply's circuitry, hence doesn't get cooled properly.

Any clearer?
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 3:09:04 PM

delluser1 said:
Look again.

Did i miss something.? Please let me know..
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 3:35:15 PM

Emperus said:
Did i miss something.? Please let me know..

The psu in the link you quoted is in the fan "up" position , can't intake air from outside the case that way.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 5:40:47 PM

Oh.! It appeared to me (still does) that the fan was facing downwards.. Hence my comment.. Seems like an observation mistake from me.. Sorry about that..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 9:32:00 AM

vermakhil said:
Since my PSU is at the bottom of the case and if I am not mistaken.. its fan should face upwards towards the CPU.

With all due respect, you ARE mistaken. Do you just not believe what people are saying or something?

Just mount the power supply any way you see fit and be done with it - there's no single page to be on, you're evidently not understanding the answers we're giving, or you're just confusing yourself.

But, let me try one more time...

In the picture you posted, the PSU location is the traditional position for the ATX specification. In that position, the fans on the PSU act as an additional exhaust above the CPU area.

However, things have changed, and it's much more common to have PSUs mounted at the bottom of the case. Why? I don't know. Maybe the case is more stable with the weight of the PSU at the bottom. Maybe CPUs are just too hot these days to have their air pumping through a PSU.

So, a PSU still needs to be cooled, so cases have holes and grills at the bottom now so the PSU can draw air in from the outside and dump it out the back. This air never interferes with the overall airflow.

Look at this: http://i32.tinypic.com/2l8hhqu.jpg which way is that PSU mounted?
What about http://img23.imageshack.us/i/006mih.jpg/
and http://i28.tinypic.com/513lgw.jpg
and even http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/cases/ATCS8...

This should help explain things, and look at that PSU as well http://img510.imageshack.us/i/690airflownewgk2.jpg/

In fact, if the PSU fan was supposed to point upwards, why does this case (for example) have holes and dust filters at the bottom?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/CA-196-CM_27010_400...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 10:04:01 AM

Yeah, what he said!

If a case has vents and filters in the bottom, install it fan down.

If it doesn't it can be installed either way round depending on the distance from PSU to case floor. if the PSU rest on the the case floor you would want the fan facing upwards, but if there's enough space to draw air from beneath, then you can decide.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 10:18:56 AM

And as an additional note: as I've said previously, some people mount a bottom-mounted PSU upside-down to allow the PSU fan to draw heat away from hot graphics cards. I wouldn't recommend it because that air can get pretty toasty and it won't cool the PSU properly, and could possibly interfere with the overall airflow of the case.

In any case, you mount the thing any way you're comfortable with and enjoy your computer - just be aware that we're not lying to you or anything, PSUs on the bottom just have the fan pointing downwards. Just the way it is.
m
l
November 4, 2010 9:16:09 AM

LePhuronn and mi1ez : I completely respect and believe your views.. The only fact probably was that I wanted to hear to place the PSU upside down.. I dont know why...
There are certainly vents and dust filter at the bottom of the Cabinet. However, somehow I dont think the distance between floor and cabinet bottom is good enough to suck enough air into the PSU.. Is there a better way of increasing this distance for proper flow of air into the PSU.. ( Seems to be a stupid question... :(  .... )
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 4, 2010 9:37:35 AM

I didn't want it to seem that I was treading on your opinion, it's just you came across as just confusing yourself and adding complexity to what is an easy answer despite what we were saying. So apologies for that.

In any case, if the case has provision for mounting the PSU fan-down then the case will have been designed to have sufficient space to draw air in - you don't really need that much room anyway to draw air (look at the crazy small gaps behind a front panel door has, for example the Antec P182).

Putting your case on thick carpet however will mess things up, so if your floor surface will cover the case feet and air holes then you have an issue. Easily solved though by putting the case on some kind of plinth - bit of wood or something. You could look at changing the feet on the case too - get some casters, or just bigger feet. Some cases allow this by design, others are a mod job.

There isn't going to be any way to raise the PSU's mounting position in the case without modding it though - you could drill a new set of holes, extend the opening in the back and then mount the PSU onto some spacers or fan duct, but that's a lot of effort.

So, if your case is covered by thick flooring, then either raise the case up or, yes, flip the PSU - just keep a close eye on temperatures, especially if you have a hot graphics card near the PSU.
m
l
November 5, 2010 9:21:40 AM

Got you Man..!! I hope I have found the solution..

Can I also be guided if I should be going with 6850 or 6870. I would be going for a crossfire but not in near future.. This would be somewhere 6 months down.. depending on the games coming up in the marke..

6850 cost me 11K INR ( only Sapphire is available)
6870 cost me 14.7K INR. ( only Sapphire is available)

I am thinking to go with 6850, only issue with it is the noise and tempearture.. Not sure if crossfire would create an issue.. I have read reviews but they are still not user reviews.. Anybody who can suggest me in this direction..!1

BTW ... A very Happy Diwali to all of you..!!
m
l

Best solution

a c 91 ) Power supply
November 5, 2010 9:42:32 AM

Ideally, my advice will be to wait till the 69XX series launches and the pricing gets streamlined.. There may then be more cards with factory applied overclocks and custom cooling setups.. If however, you do not wish to wait then i recommend the HD 6870.. Simply because its the powerful of the two cards and is less noisy also.. IMO, the price difference is worth it.. Sapphire is a good brand (ATI exclusive) and there's no harm in selecting their products..
November 7, 2010 3:40:07 AM

Is it really worth the 3.7k that one has to pay extra.. I doubt..
m
l
November 7, 2010 4:08:37 AM

vermakhil said:
Emperus was implying that the new 69xx cards would also cause the prices of existing products (like the 68xx cards) to drop.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 7, 2010 4:59:42 AM

vermakhil said:

IMO, its worth it.. But if you are in doubt, then the best course will be to follow your own feeling..

@blackjellognomes : Actually i did put forth my recommendation for the HD 6870 in case OP is not willing to wait for the 69XX launch.. I actually have doubts if the prices will go down.. The 69XX series cards will get placed at the top end and as such, might not affect the prices for mid range solutions..
m
l
November 25, 2010 4:00:27 AM

Best answer selected by vermakhil.
m
l
!