Question about Samsung 840 pro

harleychen

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hey,

Do you guys know where else I could get Samsung 840 pro 256gb with Assassin's Creed 3 game code besides Newegg? Basically I need a website that accepts Canadian credit card or multiple AE gift cards...

Thank ya! :)
HarleyC

The Samsung 840 and 840 Pro are brand new ssd's They were just released on November 6th. It might take some time for dealers to receive them through the distribution channel.

As is my usual custom I recommend waiting 6 months before purchasing a newly released ssd. The 840 Pro does not yet have an established track record. Better to wait and see if there are any problems.

AnandTech was doing a technical review when the 840 Pro suddenly died. A replacement 840 Pro also died. The cause of death is unknown at this time. Here is a link to the review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review

Other reviews were favorable.

game junky

Distinguished

I have a couple of questions:

Have you used an SSD previously?
What will you be using this PC for?

Just trying to determine if you really need the extra speed. I have an Intel 520 in my desktop and it is ridiculously fast and reliable just like the Samsung 830/840s. Yes, the Pro has some impressive stats but you may not actually need/see the speed difference on a daily basis unless you need the additional IOPS for a specific application.

I want to see the 840 Pro in action again a Intel 520 to see if I can notice a real difference. I have used Crucial M4s, Samsung 830s and Intel 520s in multiple builds and I really don't see a difference in day to day speed between the 520s and 830s. I game, I encode video/audio, I surf - both just plain works quickly and reliably.

Just my thoughts