srbsub

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I have a Gateway GT5630E. The motherboard is an Intel Stoughton G965 with the (groan) standard Intel graphics onboard. The video was terrible enough that I decided to upgrade to a PNY Verto with an nVidia GeForce GT220. Life was good for a while but I was finding that on casual games, the games would play up to a point but, eventually, the video would blank and the sound would play the last sound over and over, rapid-fire style. The only way to break it was to power down. I tried upgrading the drivers and replacing certain files based on information in the crash dump files. Nothing seemed to work. Eventually, I found a forum online that suggested the problem might be that the power supply was unable to support the upgraded video card. When I looked at the specs on the Verto, it wants 12V@18A. According the the Gateway website, my power supply provides 12V@16A. So to fix this, I upgraded the power supply with an Inland 500W power supply.

I installed the power supply, connected the cables and powered up. It seemed to recognize the video card and then progressed to the SATA drive. Suddenly, the system speaker started beeping rapidly and there was a message on the screen that said that the system might need specialized files for the SATA drive. I shut down the system. Up to this point I was using a static strap. I rearranged the cables that connected the DVD drive and the SATA drive (probably *without* a static strap). If I thought the behavior was odd up to that point, it took a real left turn. The subsequent attempts to boot up the computer have not been successful. I can see that the motherboard is getting power because there's an indicator light but I get no video and the cooling fan on the processor behaves differently than it did before. At boot, the fan would power up at high speed and then it cuts back. Now, it powers up at high speed, then it stops. A couple of seconds pass and then it powers up at high speed and stays there. The power indicator light on the front of the computer doesn't come on anymore. I've checked all my connectors but I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is that I arced the motherboard but I'm not sure that the behavior is consistent with that or not.

Any ideas?

mchlebus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
It sounds like all your problems started with the new card. have you tried removing it and trying to boot with the onboard video again?

I am not familiar with gateways, and what settings can be altered in the bios, but resetting the bios is also an easy thing to rule out.