Sign in with
Your question

Black screen on new system

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 9:54:27 PM

Hi!
I recieved my new computer yesterday and everything worked fine, but when I got home from work I tried to run World of Warcraft, and all of a sudden my XFX 5870 stopped outputting any video. I've tried turning off the power supply for a while, pressing the clear CMOS-button, unplugging my USB-devices and connecting my 40" Samsung LCD TV with a HDMI-DVI cable. The TV won't show any video either.

Here are my hardware (I'm running Windows 7, 64bit Home Premium by the way):
- Chieftec Super Series 750W
- ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
- CoolIT Systems ECO A.L.C. CPU Cooler
- Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1333MHz 2GB CL7-7-7-20 (x2)
- XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB (My Samsung 22" LCD Monitor is connected to the GPU with a DVI cable)
- Sony NEC Optiarc AD-5240S
- Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM (x2)
- Corsair SSD Performance P64

The GPU fan is actually running, but I'm picking up no video signals.

I did also check to see if the memory modules were supported by the motherboard, but they weren't listed. Can that have anything to do with it? Some people have told me that the power supply could be the culprit, but there should be plenty of wattage to supply the system. They also indicated that the XFX 5870 might be having trouble if the PSU is a little off with the voltage or something like that.

I simply have no idea what to do.
Will try to provide more information on request

More about : black screen system

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 10:08:28 PM

People suspect your PSU for good reasons, but it's all supposition. PSUs are very important and it's common for new builders to not understand that.

If the model number on your PSU is CFT-750-14CS then it's built by CWT, a decent OEM, and may be OK or even good.

Do you have the impression that the PC is booting at all? Hard drive noises? Any indication that your PC is doing stuff other than powering up? Flickering HD light?

Run through the checklist anyway:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Although at this point I think you need to try to swap out the GPU.
August 14, 2010 10:20:16 PM

my pc stopped displaying " video signal " and i got it tested and it ended up being the graphics card so try onboard if you have it, and also try a different possibly slightly more powerfull PSU as that is the most cause for black screens on pc.

my friend recently had booting problems on his new build and it ended up being his brand new PSU was faulty.
Related resources
August 15, 2010 6:09:46 AM

If youve just recieved this system from a shop yesterday, dont touch anything, dont open it up.

Put it back in its box and take it back to the shop.

In other words, dont give them any reason or more importantly an EXCUSE to void your warranty by playing around.

August 16, 2010 1:31:52 PM

Yeah, I guess I have to send it back. A few more weeks to go with a borrowed, 3-year-old Dell computer :/ 

I found out that the company that built the PC had put a cable in between the mobo and the GPU, so that it wasn't completely fitted into the slot, which may or may not be the cause of this whole thing.
!