Sign in with
Your question

A Cabinet of my choice

Last response: in Components
October 27, 2010 10:52:32 AM

Recently I saw my friend's Dell Computer. Its has its heat-sink alomost 2-3 times larger than what we usually get whe we buy AMD or Intel CPUs. The interesting thing was the CPU fan, which was not on the top of heat-sink but onto the side of heat-sink (and in the front side of the cabinet) throwing the air from front to the back of the cabinet. Fan was very silent and almost 2-3 times larger than normal fans we get from AMD/Intel. So even after 5 years of usage there was no dust on heat-sink and still no sound from fan :ouch:  . I consider it a very good design. What do you say ?

Can anyone recommened a cabinet like that ?

More about : cabinet choice

a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 11:48:52 AM

It sounds like a normal large heatsink to me, its got nothing to do with the cabinet.

look up big typhoon, for instance.

On the other hand it could be a BTX case, in which case you are out of luck I think, BTX was meant to replace ATX, and offered a more segmented case, i.e. GPU, CPU and PSU all had separate thermal chambers. It failed.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 12:43:13 PM

they effectively had a shroud over the cpu, so it pulled its own air from the outside, it was a solution to increasing heat output, never really took off, back in 2002-4 I was waiting for it, nothing happened I think the installed base for ATX was too high, and only higher end systems would have benefited, a lot of retooling was needed and ATX and BTX are not compatable due to the location of key components.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 6:02:56 PM

any case with filtered air intakes, and makes sure you have more input than output so that you have higher air pressure inside the case. this stops air creeping in through all of the cracks, and instead forces air out through the cracks thus forcing all incoming air through the filters.

I think mosthigher end cases have filters
m
l
!