MrsFrog

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I need the exact command to do a DOS system restore; my computer has been infectd with a real good virus
For some reason, the Webroot antivirus didn't detect it going in
I have no Start menu
I can't get to the Control Panel
F10 does not work
Internet Explorer doesn't work, so no new downloads

Already spent about $1000 at Geek Squad If there's no DOS restore, this machine is going to the driveway to bounce off the pavement
My I've checkd the history here, & not found anything that workd

I have another computer which I could use to download...
Anybody got anything??? Thx in advance Libby :sweat:

MrsFrog

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thx for the reply Apparently I wasn't clear

I want to restore my Windows XP system with a DOS restore, because I don't have any other system available due to a virus

What do you really mean with a DOS restore? What do you wish to do?
Which operating system is running now?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Do you have any Windows XP installation CD?

I am afraid I do not really know what kind of DOS restore you want to do. DOS is a quite limited and old operating system not used these days. You will not need to have DOS to delete your old installation, IF that is what you wish to do.

There is not really a *DOS restore* command to help you with your situation. The restore command is used with backup files.

You have several options that the Geeks may (or may not) have tried. As your computer is booting you may press F8 to select several startup options. One option you may try is *Last Known Good Configuration*. You also have the option to enter the *Safe Mode* will may allow access to your system by way of the desktop.

Also - Windows will create something called *Restore Points*. If you are not capable of accessing System Restore through the Desktop you may try this:

1) Restart and press F8 as the computer boots;

2) Select *Safe Mode with a command prompt*;

3) Log on with administrator rights;

4) Type at the command prompt: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

5) Press Enter and follow the System Restore instructions by selecting a restore point date prior to your problems.

Good luck --- let us know how it goes.

Boot into safe mode (F8 during boot), and run antivirus scans from there. I recommend either Microsoft Security Essentails and/or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

More then likely, theres a registry command that was added to block Task Manager; if you can download it from elsewhere, download Process Explorer (to a USB stick).

Its also likely the internet isn't working because IE's settings were changed to look for a proxy server; you can usually fix that easily from IE's settings menu if thats in fact what happened.