mrkorb

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2004
Ok, I plan on getting a laptop within the next month, and so I'd love to have a wireless setup here in my home. I already have a wired LAN of 5 computers, each with a static IP address, connected to the Internet with DSL. They are all plugged into an Intel InBusiness 8-Port Hub, with the DSL modem plugged in the uplink port on the end. This network is great, I love it, don't want to change it much at all if I don't have to.

My questions are:
1. How do I go about adding wireless to this existing setup? I obviously don't need a router with a bunch of ethernet ports on it (especially since I have yet to see one with enough ports to fit into my existing network), but will I need to get one to do this?
2. Would just plugging in a WAP work with my current setup?
3. Is there a difference really between a "router" and a "hub" like what I have?

I somehow get the feeling I'm overanalyzing this whole thing and just making it more difficult than it really is.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
1) do what you suggested in the second q, just buy an accesspoint and plug it into your current setup.
3) Router's and Hub's work on completely different layers so they can't really be compared. If you have a Hub right now I suggest buying a Switch, you will see a big speed improvement with that many computers on the network. Your dsl modem or "hub" must have some kind of routing ability bec plugging it into the uplink port would do nothing otherwise.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
As long as your happy with your setup just buy an Access Point and cards for any client you want to have wireless. An AP is nothing more than a wireless hub, with some encryption functionality and other security measures thrown in there. Run a cat5 cable from an open port on your existing hub to the AP. Are your static IP's WAN IP's, meaning are they public IP's directly from your provider or is your dsk modem double as a NAT router. You want to put your LAN and WLAN behind some type of router and NAT firewall your addresses.