ATI 5770+Windows 7 Desktop with no icons or taskbar

RobotKris

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I recently upgraded from Windows XP x32 to Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. I did what was instructed, the custom installation and everything went fine. I installed the drivers for me motherboard (Gigabyte MA790X-UP4P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387) and rebooted my computer. I installed the updates for windows 7 as soon as it prompted me to and I went on to install the 9.12 drivers for my Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858). Once i finished, I rebooted as it prompted me to and it all restarted. As soon as windows started up I was greeted with a desktop background but no icons, mouse, or taskbar. My certain graphics card is supported (at least what microsoft has said) by x64 bit windows 7. I have system restored to get rid of the ATI driver and have reinstalled it many a times to try to figure out the problem. I have done Driver Sweeper as per instructed by many other forums and no luck has yet to come. I am really running dry on ideas or suggestions. I have tried out the AMD forums, windows 7 help forums, windows tech support, AMD graphics telephone (I will be able to call them on monday). Other quick specs: CPU AMD Phenom II x550, PSU: Antec EW-650 RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066. I am really desperate at this point in time as I have spent 10+ hours trying to fix this. If I need to clarify anything I would more than glad to.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
have you tried taskmanager then run= explorer.exe
my guess is its something to do with the screen settings (as you probably figured) make sure the screen display settings are right

RobotKris

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Sooooooooooo I am pretty stupid. I had both my DVI and HDMI cable hooked in and when I would reboot the computer after installing the driver, the computer thought that my main desktop was with the HDMI cable. I unhooked the HDMI cable and changed my monitor to DVI settings and that worked. All along it was only because I had both of my cables hooked in...........

Thanks for the replies. My worries are over.