Mapping to Hard Drives for Windows XP SP2 Clients

We have been test deploying a few Windows XP SP2 clients. We have noticed a
problem that you are unable to map/connect to the C$ share on clients that
are running Windows XP SP2 from our management workstations. Our management
workstations are also running windows XP SP2. We have activated file and
print sharing on the fire wall settings but still have not been able to map
to the local hard drive of our XP SP2 clients across our network.
2 answers Last reply
More about mapping hard drives windows clients

    "=?Utf-8?B?R2xlbm4gU3p5ZGxvd3NraQ==?="
    <GlennSzydlowski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > We have been test deploying a few Windows XP SP2 clients. We have
    > noticed a problem that you are unable to map/connect to the C$ share
    > on clients that are running Windows XP SP2 from our management
    > workstations. Our management workstations are also running windows XP
    > SP2. We have activated file and print sharing on the fire wall
    > settings but still have not been able to map to the local hard drive
    > of our XP SP2 clients across our network.

    Are the machines in the same subnet? If not, you have to edit the scope of
    the firewall exception, as the default is to only allow connection from
    other computers in the same subnet. You may want to set the scope so that
    only your management machines can do this connection.

    Glenn Szydlowski wrote:

    > We have been test deploying a few Windows XP SP2 clients. We have noticed a
    > problem that you are unable to map/connect to the C$ share on clients that
    > are running Windows XP SP2 from our management workstations. Our management
    > workstations are also running windows XP SP2. We have activated file and
    > print sharing on the fire wall settings but still have not been able to map
    > to the local hard drive of our XP SP2 clients across our network.
    Hi,

    This Group Policy setting might open for it:

    Policy path:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\
    Network Connections\Windows Firewall\<Domain|Standard> Profile\

    Policy name:
    Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception

    From PolicySettings.xls available here:

    Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows XP Professional
    Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ef3a35c0-19b9-4acc-b5be-9b7dab13108e&displaylang=en

    <quote>
    Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections\Windows Firewall
    \<some> Profile
    Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception

    Allows remote administration of this computer using administrative
    tools such as the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and Windows
    Management Instrumentation (WMI). To do this, Windows Firewall opens
    TCP ports 135 and 445. Services typically use these ports to
    communicate using remote procedure calls (RPC) and Distributed
    Component Object Model (DCOM). This policy setting also allows
    SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE to receive unsolicited incoming messages
    and allows hosted services to open additional dynamically-assigned
    ports, typically in the range of 1024 to 1034. If you enable this
    policy setting, Windows Firewall allows the computer to receive the
    unsolicited incoming messages associated with remote administration.
    You must specify the IP addresses or subnets from which these
    incoming messages are allowed. If you disable or do not configure
    this policy setting, Windows Firewall does not open TCP port 135 or
    445. Also, Windows Firewall prevents SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE from
    receiving unsolicited incoming messages, and prevents hosted
    services from opening additional dynamically-assigned ports. Because
    disabling this policy setting does not block TCP port 445, it does
    not conflict with the Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer
    sharing exception policy setting. Note: Malicious users often
    attempt to attack networks and computers using RPC and DCOM. We
    recommend that you contact the manufacturers of your critical
    programs to determine if they are hosted by SVCHOST.exe or LSASS.exe
    or if they require RPC and DCOM communication. If they do not, then
    do not enable this policy setting. Note: If any policy setting
    opens TCP port 445, Windows Firewall allows inbound ICMP echo
    request messages (the message sent by the Ping utility), even if the
    Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions policy setting would block
    them. Policy settings that can open TCP port 445 include Windows
    Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception, Windows Firewall:
    Allow remote administration exception, and Windows Firewall: Define
    port exceptions.

    </quote>

    Using netsh.exe, you can configure the "Allow for remote administration"
    setting from command line as well, like this:

    netsh.exe firewall set service type=remoteadmin mode=enable scope=subnet
    profile=domain

    If not a domain computer, you need to change to 'profile=standard'
    (or 'profile=all'). Scope can also be set to 'custom' and then you
    can add ip ranges to the command line as well.

    The netsh.exe syntax is documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.

    WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Workstations Hard Drives Windows XP