takezow

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hi guys,

I have 2 SSDs in a raid 0 array where my Windows 7 OS is installed on a z77 mobo, i7 cpu.

according to Intel, with RST drives 11.2 and beyond it is possible to obtain trim support (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21407)

My question is: Do I need 3 ssds for this to work? i.e. 1 ssd with windows OS installed and the other 2 sdds in the raid 0 array.

OR

if I install these drives on my current raid array using 2 ssds can I get TRIM to work?

I just want to know how I should set this up, not looking for a discussion on trim or whatever!

thanks!

Solution
If trim is enabled in windows, then it will send the command. It is up to the chipset driver then to pass the command. So should work Even when only OS is installed on a raido configuration.
The problem is there is no way of verifing this outside of filling the disk up, then delete the files and re-run bench mark to verify that performance has returned.

Bottom line I would use and assume that it works - If down stream it appears that it is NOT working then attack the problem. Both CG and wear leveling should still work. Just that CG does work better with Trim.

iBushay

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I think as long as in the BIOS you enable AHCI then trim is enabled.

try this:

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator.

At the prompt, type: %root%:\>fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

takezow

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
yeah I read the AnandTech article, it proved that TRIM works, my problem is that I don't know how to do it haha.

there he says: " I set up a Z77 testbed using Intel's DZ77GA-70K motherboard. I configured the board for RAID operation and installed Windows 7 SP1 to a single boot SSD. I then took two Samsung SSD 830s and created a 128GB RAID-0 array (64GB + 64GB)."

It seems that he installed Intel's drives that allow trim in one ssd then made a raid 0 array using 2 samsung 830.

1. I already have windows installed in a raid 0 array using 2 ssds, so if I install Intel's RST drive that enables trim on my raid 0 array which has windows installed on it, will trim work?

OR

2. must I have windows already installed to 1 ssd with the RST drives installed on it and then I have to create a raid 0 array using 2 other ssds to get trim to work?

I ll try this first option once I get home to see if that works, how can I test if trim is working properly?

If trim is enabled in windows, then it will send the command. It is up to the chipset driver then to pass the command. So should work Even when only OS is installed on a raido configuration.
The problem is there is no way of verifing this outside of filling the disk up, then delete the files and re-run bench mark to verify that performance has returned.

Bottom line I would use and assume that it works - If down stream it appears that it is NOT working then attack the problem. Both CG and wear leveling should still work. Just that CG does work better with Trim.

Solution