Solved

How can use an SSD as just a boot drive?

I am thinking of buying a 64GB SATAII SSD as a boot drive while Keeping all my games and documents installed on the 7200RPM 750GB HDD.

What are the steps to moving just Windows 7 to the SSD to boot and run from while keeping all my games on the HDD?

Thank you.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot drive
  1. Don't do that. You'll mess up the SSD and things will get wonky - migration is never a good idea.

    1) Unplug your hard drive.
    2) Plug in the SSD
    3) Install windows as normal
    4) Boot, install updates
    5) Reconnect hard drive, format after backing up data
    6) Reinstall games, always selecting "custom" install and directing them to the hard drive.
  2. You are pretty limited as most games, if not all, would have to be reinstalled.

    You would install Windows 7 to the SSD and then install the games to your HDD by manually pointing the installation programs to the HDD.
  3. You should go for a little more space, it won't break the bank.

    Samsung makes reliable SSD:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-sata_6_0_gb-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TD120BW/dp/B009NHAF06/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

    Do as DarkSable above has mentioned basically too:


    DarkSable said:
    Don't do that. You'll mess up the SSD and things will get wonky - migration is never a good idea.

    1) Unplug your hard drive.
    2) Plug in the SSD
    3) Install windows as normal
    4) Boot, install updates
    5) Reconnect hard drive, format after backing up data
    6) Reinstall games, always selecting "custom" install and directing them to the hard drive.



    Here is some useful information too in regards to SSD:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part
  4. DarkSable said:
    Don't do that. You'll mess up the SSD and things will get wonky - migration is never a good idea.

    1) Unplug your hard drive.
    2) Plug in the SSD
    3) Install windows as normal
    4) Boot, install updates
    5) Reconnect hard drive, format after backing up data
    6) Reinstall games, always selecting "custom" install and directing them to the hard drive.


    I don't mind installing all my games again actually, But My PC came with Win 7 already installed so I don't have a retail copy of windows. Is there a way to make a disc of windows to install to the SSD?
  5. Current system specs: ( This is a stock PC that I upgraded)


    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit X86
    AMD Athlon ii x4 630 @ 2.8GHz
    4x2GB (8GB total) DDR3 SDRAM 10600 @ 1333MHz
    Foxconn 2A92 MOBO
    Radeon 6570 1GB DDR3
    750 GB 3.5'' HDD 7200 RPM
    Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU
    26'' LCD Plug and Play TV/Monitor (1360x768 native)
  6. Best answer
    jkobusinski said:
    I don't mind installing all my games again actually, But My PC came with Win 7 already installed so I don't have a retail copy of windows. Is there a way to make a disc of windows to install to the SSD?



    You can try contacting the PC manufacture for an install disk, using another persons Windows DVD(with your key), or buy Windows 8 for 40 dollars from the Microsoft Store and create a USB or DVD installer.


    Do you use Steam for your games? I would assume so, I can't imagine a PC gamer not using Steam.

    For steam do this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

    You can run steam and games on storage drive, games don't need a SSD that much; you will need to verify the games already downloaded once you start it off the storage drive.
  7. jkobusinski said:
    I don't mind installing all my games again actually, But My PC came with Win 7 already installed so I don't have a retail copy of windows. Is there a way to make a disc of windows to install to the SSD?



    Most PC makers include an application to make a backup set for installation disks/ or a disk image, which usually also makes a Windows install disk.
  8. Best answer selected by jkobusinski.
  9. edogawa said:
    You can try contacting the PC manufacture for an install disk, using another persons Windows DVD(with your key), or buy Windows 8 for 40 dollars from the Microsoft Store and create a USB or DVD installer.


    Do you use Steam for your games? I would assume so, I can't imagine a PC gamer not using Steam.

    For steam do this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

    You can run steam and games on storage drive, games don't need a SSD that much; you will need to verify the games already downloaded once you start it off the storage drive.


    I found my Win 7 product key. On a sticker on the side of my case, lol. Now that I have that, All I need is an install disc to install win 7 to the SSD right?
  10. jkobusinski said:
    I found my Win 7 product key. On a sticker on the side of my case, lol. Now that I have that, All I need is an install disc to install win 7 to the SSD right?


    Correct.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Games Boot Hard Drives Storage