Cheap quad core platform advice, please.

Hi all, I am some what out of the loop these days, so aren't up with all the recent developments, but I am after a new machine and was wondering if some one could give me some platform advice.

I am after the cheapest possible quad core system, that has some scope for overclocking, I already have a half decent GPU (hd4850 - although aging plays what I need to fine) I do not want this new system to bottle neck this card, but don't need tons of horse power either.

Upgradable is also important, I need a platform with scope to upgrade.

I was wondering about x3 AMD chips seeing some of them seem to be 'unlockable'; I assume they aren't all unlockable seeing as the idea was to reuses defective yields. Is there any way of knowing before purchase which will work.

I was looking a the 3.1 and 2.7ghz "rana" cores. Is there a decent unlock success rate with these chips, what are they for overclocking?

I have traditionally always gone with intel, but are they able to compete with AMD in the low end of quads?

I don't need a lot of HDD space and 4Gb of RAM will do fine with the intention to upgrade to 8Gb.

Thanks for any advice.
10 answers Last reply
More about cheap quad core platform advice please
  1. Instead of taking a chance of unlocking the 4th core why not start a build with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.538105
  2. ^+1 that's an excellent suggestion.
  3. ^+2. I agree with that.

Also OP what do you currently have?
  4. I say wait if you can. Since you are looking for upgradability then I would wait for the new socket (AM3+) to come out first; then you would have greater upgrade prospects being able to use the upcoming bulldogs along with the current crop of AM3 processors. AM3+ cpu's will not work in an AM3 socket motherboard.
  5. Thanks firstly I am not in the USA, so any deal won't really pursaude me. However I will look further into the prices of Athlonx4 here in the UK and consider them.

Shadow:
    before I moved to uni I had a desktop (propper) PC but had to leave that back at home as I was not the only User of it, however I took my Graphics card as no one else games and it drink power.

So currently I have a laptop, and that got to change.

So from what I am reading there is no surfire way of knowing whether the a locked core is usuable before purchase?

I understand that AM3+ chips wont like AM3 but what about AM3 chip in AM3+? What is the time scale for AM3+? Months, Weeks?

And without going back to Core2 era I assume there is no real competition from intel in this space.
  6. i have a rana x3 and I couldn't unlock it , but it does overclock very well ...on reflection I would say if you can afford it go with the 640 x4 suggestion , if you can't the x3 is a great performer for the money
  7. Quote:
    I understand that AM3+ chips wont like AM3 but what about AM3 chip in AM3+? What is the time scale for AM3+? Months, Weeks?

Are you talking about AM2+? AFAIK, AM3+ doesn't exist yet. If you are talking about Bulldozer realize that it WILL NOT work with current motherboards.
  8. dobby said:
    Thanks firstly I am not in the USA, so any deal won't really pursaude me. However I will look further into the prices of Athlonx4 here in the UK and consider them.

Shadow:
    before I moved to uni I had a desktop (propper) PC but had to leave that back at home as I was not the only User of it, however I took my Graphics card as no one else games and it drink power.

So currently I have a laptop, and that got to change.

So from what I am reading there is no surfire way of knowing whether the a locked core is usuable before purchase?

And without going back to Core2 era I assume there is no real competition from intel in this space.

An AM3 processor should move to an AM3+ motherboard. As far as a rollout for AM3+, best guess would be next April/May. March would be nice but unlikely.

An Athlon II X4 Propus Quad Core with AM3 785g motherboard should be around £140 with VAT. You might be able to save £20 with an Athlon II X3 Rana.
  9. Quote:

An AM3 processor should move to an AM3+ motherboard. As far as a rollout for AM3+, best guess would be next April/May. March would be nice but unlikely.

Correct. You can use a AM3 CPU on an AM3+ socket. However you WILL NOT be able to use a AM3+ CPU on an AM3 socket.

As far as the architecture goes, Bulldozer will use what are called "modules". For more info on the arch: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3863/amd-discloses-bobcat-bulldozer-architectures-at-hot-chips-2010/4
  10. Hmm thanks guys, I can't wait as long as March, I reckon that waiting any more than a month for new tech to come out is futile, as your always gonna be waiting.

Looking at the price difference between the x3 and x4 I think I am going to take the x3 route; roll the dice as it were. Unless the x4 are Hex cores with 2 cores disabled?.

thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Quad Core Product