Sign in with
Your question

MCH Question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2011 9:41:01 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just a query I have a recently purchased nVidia GT240 and its been having issues from the get, go most forums did not help and neither did many driver versions. It caused artifacts to appear on the screen and constant freeze ups in several games.

That's not what the question is about though. I finally fixed the problem by underclocking my memory frequency on the card by 50Mhz.

My question is this, often a problem like this is caused by too weak a PSU and one of the first questions asked is check your 12v (and sometimes 5v) voltage levels. Mine were both in the green using Intel hardware monitoring software (not the most accurate I know) Now the card is a low power card and only uses the PCIe slot for power, no secondary connector. My first n00b question is if the 12v is the power to the motherboard or if the forums were erroneously giving advice based on the separate graphics card adapter (which on a low power card would be irrelevant) Just curious.

Secondly, my MCH voltage was however reading below normal. Judging that my memory frequency was issue with my card and my memory controller hub wasn't getting enough power and often Graphics Cards interface via the bus to the system RAM in order to store data in addition to the video RAM, would it be plausible that my PSU was not supplying enough power to the MCH causing my graphics to fail until I dropped the frequency?

Just trying to find out exactly what could have caused my issues.

More about : mch question

a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 10:19:23 AM

Hey and welcome to the forums, would you mind listing your full system specs (including PSU make and model and roughly how old it is)?

June 21, 2011 10:34:59 AM

Hey, thanks for warm welcome, I've added my specs to my signature and I'll repost them nicely here too :-)

CPU: Intel E7200 2.53 Core2 Duo 3 MB Cache
Motherboard: Intel DP35DP Media Edition
Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 7200.12 SATA 2.0
Graphics: XFX 1GB DDR3 GT240
RAM: 4GB Transcend 800Mhz
PSU: Gigabyte 460w (Can't remember exact model)
Case: Custom acryllic case with four extractor fans.
Sound: Onboard (Threw that in for kicks)

I built the system up myself in 2008. Hard drive I purchased 2 weeks ago after previous one crashed. Graphics card purchased kinda rushed 1 month ago after my second hand ancient GeForce 6600 packed up.

Hope that helps!
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 10:43:49 AM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for warm welcome, I've added my specs to my signature and I'll repost them nicely here too :-)

CPU: Intel E7200 2.53 Core2 Duo 3 MB Cache
Motherboard: Intel DP35DP Media Edition
Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 7200.12 SATA 2.0
Graphics: XFX 1GB DDR3 GT240
RAM: 4GB Transcend 800Mhz
PSU: Gigabyte 460w (Can't remember exact model)
Case: Custom acryllic case with four extractor fans.
Sound: Onboard (Threw that in for kicks)

I built the system up myself in 2008. Hard drive I purchased 2 weeks ago after previous one crashed. Graphics card purchased kinda rushed 1 month ago after my second hand ancient GeForce 6600 packed up.

Hope that helps!

Woah Triple post :p 

Thanks that helps alot. Your PC isn't exactly power demanding and I would expect your PSU to be more than enough, although it would be interesting to know the amps on the +12V rails(s).

Would it be possible to try the graphics card in another PC at stock settings (not underclocked) ?
June 21, 2011 10:59:52 AM

He he sorry about that, our proxy at work slowed down and well you saw the result...You're right, not that demanding, I was thinking maybe the extra fans could be drawing a bit but it did occur even when I plugged em all out. Also when I did Furmark stability tests and benchmarks didn't give any issues.

Temp wise, card maxed out at 59 C. So wasn't an overheat issue. I'm not at the machine at the moment so can't give 12v amp readings, voltage wise I remember it stayed between 12.123v and 12.263v. Sadly its the only PCIe machine I have access to, the retailer of the GFX card did say I can bring in the tower to do a system test to see what's faulty on Saturday, and I will still do that.

Its just that I fixed the symptoms, just not sure if its a PSU thing, a motherboard bus thing, or faulty memory on the GFX card. Definitely wasn't my RAM or a driver issue...
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 11:19:10 AM

Well if you can run Prime 95 blend mode + Furmark fine with the GPU slightly underclocked then It would suggest its not a PSU issue. Underclocking the VRAM isn't really going to lower the wattage used by the card by much at all.. probably talking a few watts (about as much as a 12V Fan)...at the most.
I'd take it to the shop on Saturday, i'm 99% sure the VRAM is faulty.
June 21, 2011 11:36:05 AM

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely do that! And yeah, the benchmarking actually performed beautifully at underclock as well as stock clock and slightly overclocked (core and mem) Games like Batman Arkham Asylum were also fine, but old stuff like Bioshock 1 and Myst 5 broke, and only came right with the underclock. But yeah if one or two of the VRAM chips have gone, then I must definitely get the card replaced, thanks again!
June 21, 2011 11:40:13 AM

Ok, by "beautifully", I mean 1280x1024 DX10 AAx4 Extreme Burn In got me a measly 22 FPS average... But hey its a budget card. :-)
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 12:03:08 PM

Certainly good enough for 1280 x 1024 :) 
!