Sign in with
Your question

Just installed 2nd Hard drive but my PC isn't recognizing it...

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2012 6:34:44 AM

So I just ordered a Seagate Momentus XT that I was going to use as my 2nd drive but since it's the hybrid-ssd I want it as my primary drive. I posted here a couple days ago about how to do so and I did so far exactly as instructed by the link (http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201991e...).

I installed the new Seasgate drive in the secondary slot and powered up my laptop and installed the Seagate DiscWizard, as instructed, but my laptop doesn't even recognize the new drive in the 2nd bay.

What should I do?

I really appreciate any help as I have been searching with no good results and am at a dead end.
November 14, 2012 12:01:49 PM

Update your motherboard drivers and drivers specific to that HDD.

Go to device manager and check that you don't have any problems there (little yellow exclamation marks), if you have search online for drivers for that device.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
November 14, 2012 6:35:45 PM

Does your laptop detect your new HDD if you install it in the primary slot?

What is the model number of the original HDD?

Is it possible that your laptop is an older model that is limited to 1.5Gbps?
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 10:43:07 PM

iBushay said:
Update your motherboard drivers and drivers specific to that HDD.

Go to device manager and check that you don't have any problems there (little yellow exclamation marks), if you have search online for drivers for that device.

Thank you for the reply, I checked the Device Manager and all is good, no yellow error signs. As far as updating my motherboard I'm not sure how to do that, I know what my motherboard is on my desktop but this is my laptop so it's whatever comes in a HP Pavillion DV7t-6100, is there a way to find out? And what do you mean for updating the drivers for the hard drive? I don't understand why I need them when my laptop doesn't even recognize it.

Thank you very much and I would appreciate info on the other options you suggested.
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:03:52 AM

I still need help if anyone out there has a recomendation.

Here's what I just tried (besides the obvious and original ideas):

- Went to an HP website and downloaded a driver to update my BIOS but it was even worse, I still couldn't find any way to detect my new hard drive and for some reason it started making my laptop run really slow so I did a system restore (to yesterday).

I've triple checked that the plugs are correct, I can hear the hard drive spinning so obviously the HDD isnt broken and my primary works fine so.... I'm going nuts trying to figure this out....

PLEASE HELP
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:20:38 AM

The only way to make sure the Momentus is not broken is to install on another computer and see if it shows up there.

Just out of curiosity since it wasn't anywhere in your posts...

Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the Momentus is recognized?

In Device Manager is the Momentus in the Hard Disk section?

Have you tried going into Disk Management to see if it shows up there?

Hate to sound condescending but I'm not trying to be...just going through all of the basic checks before ruling out a bad HDD that's all, I learn new stuff all the time too.
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:49:11 AM

TommyGunDam said:
The only way to make sure the Momentus is not broken is to install on another computer and see if it shows up there.

Just out of curiosity since it wasn't anywhere in your posts...

Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the Momentus is recognized?

In Device Manager is the Momentus in the Hard Disk section?

Have you tried going into Disk Management to see if it shows up there?

Hate to sound condescending but I'm not trying to be...just going through all of the basic checks before ruling out a bad HDD that's all, I learn new stuff all the time too.

Yes I checked BIOS and Device Manager with no luck, It's like my laptop refuses to realize the 2nd hard drive even though its plugged into it and powering it.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:01:08 PM

fzabkar said:
Does your laptop detect your new HDD if you install it in the primary slot?

What is the model number of the original HDD?

Is it possible that your laptop is an older model that is limited to 1.5Gbps?

Have you tried what he said about putting in just the Momentus into the 1st slot and seeing if BIOS sees it? Have you checked BIOS settings to see if there is anything you must do to "activate" the HDD. For example in my desktop's BIOS there are settings for the SATA ports to make them IDE, AHCI or RAID...perhaps check to see if the 2nd slot/port is set to AHCI? Best of luck.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:34:15 PM

So it definitely doesn't show up when you right click Computer-Manage-Disk Management ?

m
l
November 15, 2012 2:59:10 PM

OK so finally I got it working by installing Seagate DiscWizard (which my computer nor BIOS detected the new hard drive still) and in the Create New Dive menu, the new Seagate drive was detected and "added". Once added I was able to clone my old primary to the new drive. After a reboot and shut-down I swapped the hard drives so my Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid-SSD is now the Primary and the old Western Digital 320GB HDD is my secondary (which is currently going through a CCleaner Drive Wiper).

The only strange thing now is that in "My Computer" there are EIGHT detected drives... SEVEN if you exclude my external. There should only be my C: which is the new Seagate Drive, G: which is my old Western Digital, and D: which was a Recovery Partion that was on the laptop when I bought it. The ones I don't understand are:

- RECOVERY (D:)  9.96 GB free of 23.1 GB
- SYSTEM (F:)  165 MB free of 198 MB
- RECOVERY (H:)  1.63 GB free of 14.7 GB
- HP_TOOLS (I:)  85.2 MB free of 99.2 MB
- LOCAL DISC (Q:)  ... which says nothing and does nothing (double click and it says "ACCESS DENIED"

Is there a reason for these? Obviously C: and G: are the 2 hard drives I installed so I didn;t list them above.

Thanks again for all the advice to help me actually install these drives so far...
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:54:39 PM

PS. I didn't mean to make smiley faces where the collon and parenthsis.... supposed to be like ( D: )
m
l
!