First Time, New Build Advice

whitehorizon

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a week

BUDGET RANGE: 700-800, although up to 1000 if I am convinced it's worth it

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: lots of multitasking (internet, music, office software, computer programming), gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES:

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (I will need to get comfortable tinkering first)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, but more unlikely than not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: max is 1600 x 900, but it is unlikely I will run games much above 1280 x 1024

FUTURE OUTLOOK FOR USE: I do someday plan on doing more photo and video editing, but it may not be too much of a concern for this build as I could put new parts in by the time I am doing those things. If I am to get an AMD processor, I will likely upgrade to an x4 or an x6 in time. I know I could save some money and get an AM2+ board, but I am thinking the DDR3 will pan out longer.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would say that I am fairly set on getting the p183 case as I really like the design even with the added cost compared to similar cases. The motherboard and the PSU are really the least firm at this point. I do like the Asus board as it has just about exactly what I need, although I do wish it had an EPS12v instead of the ATX12v connector (Asus lists it as capable of supporting up to a 140W processor, but would it perform well/stable?). I am most open on hearing motherboard arguments at this point. I have debated about getting the Antec CP-850 PSU, but thought that the wattage would be too much for what I would need (I like the design of the CP-850, however). I have heard it said to use the PSU calculators and then double the wattage to see what you would need. Would having even more than that be a problem? I have heard both opinions. Advice would be helpful here. I think the AMD 555 BE would be fine as I will have room to upgrade later. I know people tend to like Intel, but I would need some heavy persuasion as I appreciate the savings I get with AMD. As far as gaming is concerned, I do not do a whole lot of it. I would say the most demanding game I own right now is Half Life 2. I have not ever purchased many PC games and, right now, cannot foresee buying any in the near future. I simply want to make the computer respectable/adequate by today's standards.

Any rational advice is encouraged and appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
For the $$ terribly GPU lite and i would say u hit a tad too hard in other areas @@ Once u pass the $70 mark for 700 series it's time to look at the 800 series mobos If casing is negotiable at just $649AR we have
Untitled-700.jpg

Edit : if gaming really isn't a priority i would still hit a GTS 250/HD 4850
For the $$ terribly GPU lite and i would say u hit a tad too hard in other areas @@ Once u pass the $70 mark for 700 series it's time to look at the 800 series mobos If casing is negotiable at just $649AR we have
Untitled-700.jpg

Edit : if gaming really isn't a priority i would still hit a GTS 250/HD 4850

Solution