Icon Titles on Taskbar for open Applications

My open applications now have the URL/full path showing on each icon on the
taskbar.
eg http://www.microsft.com -TechNet discussion group.

This results in all my open applications showing only http://www..... when
my taskbar is well populated.

This has only changed recently and I don't know why, before the http://www
was not shown.

Can anyone help? Where does IE get the titles from and can they be changed

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:16:07 -0700, Mike Slade wrote:

> My open applications now have the URL/full path showing on each icon on the
> taskbar.
> eg http://www.microsft.com -TechNet discussion group.
>
> This results in all my open applications showing only http://www..... when
> my taskbar is well populated.
>
> This has only changed recently and I don't know why, before the http://www
> was not shown.
>
> Can anyone help? Where does IE get the titles from and can they be changed

The name displayed on the button shows the page's title. If the page title
includes the http://www then it will show on the button. Example: Going to
www.microsoft.com displays "Microsoft Corporation" on the button. In other
words, there is nothing to change. The results you're seeing are due to how
the web pages are composed by their author.

NOTE: If you do a "view source" on a page, you'll see the "Title" section
in among the HTML. This is where the page picks up its "name."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you, although you didn't solve my problem directley you pointed me in
the right direction. I looked at the source and found the titles of several
pages none of them had the http://www. in them.

I had been loading all of my pages from the quick launch bar or favorites.

I entered a URL of one of my quicklaunch pages directly into the address bar
and opened the page from there, for a second as the page was loading
http://www showed as the title (this seems to normal) then changed to title
in the source, after that all my pages displayed correctly.

I have rebooted tried again and my system is back to normal many thanks for
your reply

Mike

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:37:01 -0700, Mike Slade wrote:

> Thank you, although you didn't solve my problem directley you pointed me in
> the right direction. I looked at the source and found the titles of several
> pages none of them had the http://www. in them.
>
> I had been loading all of my pages from the quick launch bar or favorites.
>
> I entered a URL of one of my quicklaunch pages directly into the address bar
> and opened the page from there, for a second as the page was loading
> http://www showed as the title (this seems to normal) then changed to title
> in the source, after that all my pages displayed correctly.
>
> I have rebooted tried again and my system is back to normal many thanks for
> your reply

You're welcome, Mike.
--
Sharon F